Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Pictures of the Bird Feeder




Time for a chat with my daughter.  I’m driving westward on the north fourth ring road, for the five hundredth time in my life.  My wife sends me pictures of the bird feeder and the porch and the trees all completely covered in snow.  I imagine what the rail trail must look like.   Can I still bike it in the snow?  I’ve long imagined setting out with cross country skis but that will need to wait. 




“Call your daughter.”   I call my younger one.  She’s laconic.  But she must admit her first ever snow-day is a pretty fine thing.  “Your older sister never had such a thing.”  She can only agree.  “I miss Beijing.   I wish I was there.”  I take a picture of the Bird’s Nest and the Water Cube and send them to her.  “See.  It’s still here.  It will be here when you want to visit.”



The building is an old-fashioned state office.  Two imposing guards are outside.   They point me to the guard house.  My friend had mentioned they would be waiting for me inside.  I chat them up and make them laugh.  “How did they know I was that guy?”  The conversation that ensues couldn’t be more modern.  But the setting is classic China-office-space form the 90s.   I shouldn’t care but it makes me feel warm and nostalgic. 

Later that night, with a different group of people and we’ve arrived at the Beijing Capital Airport.  I’m the only one who has been to the other airport: Daxing and I am peppered with comparative questions as we walk into the remarkable departure hall.  “Is it bigger?  Is it even more grand?” 

Later we’re wandering around looking for a place to eat.  This airport is certainly a culinary compromise.  One of our team spies a noodle joint up and across from the lounge.  I take the ribs with noodles and get about half-way through it and my beer before I have to step away and take a call.




Tuesday, 12/03/19



No comments:

Post a Comment