Tuesday, December 17, 2019

Wasn't At This Location




I agreed to ride out to the airport with the visiting executive.  That would be my only chance to get time with him.  Affable, talkative, and predisposed, it seemed to make something happen, the ride went quickly.  On the way back, speaking with one of his colleagues, who resides here in Shanghai, I could not manage to stay awake. 



It wouldn’t take long for me to myself across town to the Bvlgari hotel, where my friend had told me to meet.  He was busy, talking so someone, so I couldn’t speak to him when my Di Di rolled up to a mall that had a Bvlgari store but no hotel.  Another driver took me to the precise address but it was a deserted alley by a canal.  We looped around and confirmed as much.  It wasn’t at this location.  I felt silly having to call back but what could I do?  No one answered and I was fiddling with different apps trying to discern where else this place could be.   There, then.  Up across this street and into this courtyard.  Finally.       Tiring. 



Hello everyone.  Sorry to be late.  I was introduced as the person to query on China and I tried to answer things politely as I got the last order in on an entrée before the kitchen closed and went to take a photos like a tourist of the south-facing view over to Puxi from this Hongkou perch on the river.  There is always some other angle from which to process this city.

The Brazilian delegation split up.  One of the team, a young I-banker who was pleasure to talk to until he became tired, broke off with my friends and I and soon we were talking past a man with a pet monkey, into the subterranean world of Julu Lu.  The Brazilian place was loud and packed and we piled into the JZ jazz club which was quiet and empty.  The compromise was an outdoor table with beers and burgers from some outdoor stall.   

I had decided not to get a hotel room this evening and just catch the 6:00AM flight back up to Beijing.  I could crash with my chums if necessary but suspected, correctly that if this all lasted much longer, I could just head to the airport.  Somehow we would but back at Jiu Jiang Lu near the campus where I’d first met one of these friends.  I sweet talked the bar across the street to stay open long enough to allow us a late one, and some parting conversation.  Neither of them would be staying in China much longer. 

Hong Qiao Airport Terminal 2 is open before 5:00AM.  The Starbucks is closed, but the Costa Coffee will serve you.  It really is a compromise, that place: the espresso, the food.  The light was coming up as we boarded and I fell fast asleep for two hours, which wasn’t anywhere near long enough in oblivion, to take on a Saturday with.



Saturday 12/07/19


No comments:

Post a Comment