Monday, March 2, 2020

Experimenting With Annoying Noises





My nephew and I went for a walk.  First I’d had a good bike ride, up the Wallkill bridge and back.  I went a bit beyond the bride, early in the morning, past the Coppersea Whisky distillery sign and out int to the field by the no trespassing sign, which bars your way from a field out to this.  I’ try to take black and white snaps of the branches on an apple tree and of the line of poplars and all the shadows they make.  Ever since I read about Gustav’s wife Alma Mahler I’ve been listening to one of his ten symphonies, per-ride.  Up to the Fifth today with that insane, devastating opening that hooks from optimistic to doom. 



When I’m back home I make little one and my nephew who spent the night a bit of breakfast and after some chit chat, we agree that he had head out for a walk.  My nephew wants to know about my best funny faces.  I show him two.  He is experimenting with annoying noises.  I willingly share him one or two favorites. 

Down on the trail there is long drain on either side.  He wants to test if it will hold us.  It’s easy to tell the section he’s gesturing to, certainly won’t.  I walk out and sink to my ankles in my water-proof boots.  I stop and take a photo of some of the remarkable serenity of brown and green leaves decomposing within the water, beneath the ice.  My nephew suggests that the walk was fun.  He keeps saying "Sum Guk Yusa," which is the name of a Korean tale of three kingdoms but one can emphasize the “yusa” as "Loos-ah" and it becomes oddly mnemonic.   He is using it that way.  I have his commitment to unleash the nonsense phrase at school to see if it will spread, virus-like.  



When we got back, it was already time for him to change his shoes and head off.  He and I posed for a few photos, each holding up a wet boot making some of the new faces we practiced.  And with that, we wave them up and out the drive for their long drive down to Brooklyn 



Sunday 02/23/20


No comments:

Post a Comment