Monday, March 2, 2020

The Halved, Beef Balls




I was out on the porch in the cool, dark drizzle of midnight and I noticed something sizable moving down on the yard.  I went over to look closer and surmised it was all but certainly a skunk.  He noticed me.  And walked a little and turned back again at me, up on the porch.  Fifteen feet up and away is probably enough of a buffer, but why take chances?  I backed away let him trundle off towards the woods.

My pizza last night was crap.  I stretched out the dough well enough without any parts too thin.  I didn’t overload the pies and I let them back for till the dough was crispy, but once again the pizza did not slide off the pan, but rather stuck here and there and if you used the pizza roller cutting tool, as my daughter did, you could scrape the slices off the try.  One pie came out better than the other.  But it was all rather unimpressive.  Later my wife came at me screaming, because I’d scratched the pan.  Next time I’ve got you use olive oil or sprinkle more flour. 



My wife picked up our daughter at school tonight and around five I put down my book to go and get the dinner started once again.  This time, I was playing it safe, with a stir fry or two.  Last week we’d visited a mom who had been spending some days in Poughkeepsie after a New Year’s visit with her son that got prolonged, due to the virus.  She invited us over and wanted to present us with some of the food she’d bought to cook but wouldn’t be able to, now that she was returning home.   It was like clowns coming out of a car with one after another bag of unopened meat, and condiments and vegetables. 



Down on my knees I spy a bag of rouwanr.  These are beef balls that should be used in a bowl of Pho.  I try to imagine what I could do with a bag of beef balls.  First, I’ve got to boil them.  As I go, I imagine a taste that might work and decide to chop up an entire bunch of garlic and the bag of oyster mushrooms she also donated to fry with the halved, beef balls.  Imagining the Pho, I decide to pour in a healthy dose of Sriracha sauce.  Done quickly enough, my sample tasting suggests it’s pretty damn good.



Wednesday, 02/26/20

No comments:

Post a Comment