Saturday, March 7, 2020

Loathe to Put One On





Fletcher Henderson’s Orchestra, with Coleman Hawkins up in the ears.  Up until a few moments ago I was sailing down the New York State Throughway, not far from the Woodbury Commons exit, but we have just reached a jam.  There may be road work up ahead.  We just passed a sign that said the right lane was out.  Prepare for it.  Fortunately, I’m not in any big rush.  And ten minutes later we’re back to a respectable speed.



Off to L.A.  Business in southern California. Fly over on Thursday, return home late Friday.   It will be sunny.  It will be a lot of driving, as any time in L.A. tends to require.  I may have some down-time on Friday and have asked some friend’s who know the city which of the many museums the city boasts of, would be a good excuse for a visit. Is it easy enough to see live Jazz in L.A.?  I remember that Harold Land used to play at a place called Hop Singh in Marina Del Rey, but it appears that this venue is long since closed. 

I’m riding on Trailways bus down to Port Authority and no one is wearing a mask.  I have some in my bag but am loathe to put one on, just now.  Masks, as we all know do not protect you from much though can help to protect others from you.  A colleague explained last night, that the masks are invaluable for another reason, as well.  They retard people from putting their fingers up to their mouths.  I have a little flap of skin on my thumb.  It is annoying me.  I’ve tried to flick it off with my nails, scrape it back, pull at it.  It’s almost impossible to ignore.  I want to bite it off and acknowledge that resisting this temptation this time and every time will be no small task.  



I feel that sleepy feeling coming on.  I had an early call and was up earlier than that.  Tonight, I am staying at my brother’s and I can’t wait to see him, his wife and their buoyant little boy, my nephew, their son.   I’m to rendezvous with my brother in Hoboken after arriving in Port Authority.  Have I ever ridden a Path Train?  I have certainly never strolled the streets of Hoboken.  One suspects there is some remarkable, old architecture and some commanding views of Manhattan.  I’ll have a look at what’s recommended for lunch in this New Jersey all-but-borough. 



Wednesday, 02/04/20

No comments:

Post a Comment