Sunday, June 30, 2019

Garlic, Would You Dear?





Grading, grading, and more grading today.  One gets into a rhythm.  It’s a whole lot more efficient to drop the bulldozer plow down and burrow forward.   You know what your criteria are.  You know that that last essay was like, so you can be consistent.  And the day that started well before the dawn has now evaporated.  Kids want dinner.

I call the little one down.  “Help me chop garlic.”  I have a dish in mind that has lots and lots of garlic.  Take this white knot of cloves and reduce it to a minced plate of garlic, would you dear?  This meets with resistance.  Of course it does.  But soon it’s overcome and she’s cutting out the garlic from within the husks and cutting it down into a fine minced poultice. 



She wants to play her tunes while she chops garlic.   I’m OK with that.  She gets two tunes.  I’ve heard this song and the next song before.  I’m hardly hip but I can easily name all three BTS rappers in a heartbeat.  The singers are harder.  Dare-I-say?  They all sound alike.”  Jimin looks different.  I can sometimes positively identify Jimin. 



The garlic dinner goes well.  I oversee the coking and for the chicken, well, how can one have too too-much-garlic.  More tastes better.  I imagine my grandmother for whom the taste of garlic was evil.  More garlic in a dish meant more evil, as if the devil had had cloves of the stuff garlanded around the apples.



Thursday, 6/20/19


No comments:

Post a Comment