Sunday, June 30, 2019

Many, Many Shiny Baubles





Trading we chat messages early morning with an old friend last night he asked me if I had heard of King Gizzard & the Lizard Wizard.  I had not.  “Check out “Big Fig Wasp” on “Nonagon Infinity” and tell me who it reminds you of.”   I did and the first thing that came to mind with that surging, locomotive drumming was D. H. Peligro of the Dead Kennedys.  “Good” he wrote when I told him so.  “I was hoping you’d say that.” 



This band hails from Melbourne and apparently has released five albums in the last year.  They’re all there on Spotify along with a picture of them jamming.  One gent if flipping the viewer the bird in their group photo that Spotify has chosen to represent them with.  I don’t usually want to hear the Dead Kennedys when I’m trying to type out thoughts.  But biking is another matter.  So, an hour later, when I got ready to ride, I figured I’d sample some more of their work.

It’s great. There many, many shiny baubles amidst the distorted guitars and screaming.  A range of moods, tasteful mixes, and intelligent, fuck-you lyrics that quickly draw me in as I pedal along the outside of Capital Paradise, trying to shake some bad news I’d just received about work.  Always a battle maintaining clients and finding new ones.



There are thirteen other albums listed and they all seem to have been written in the last few years, so there’s a decent chance they are all worth exploring.  I’m already forming the list of people I must send this band name out too.  And I’ve begun drafting the email in my mind to, as I’m wondering if I’m really the first among a certain cadre of friends who’s heard them or if I will soon discover that I’m just the last one to the party. 



Wednesday 6/26/19

No comments:

Post a Comment