Saturday, June 1, 2019

Wealthy In Spite of Themselves





I’m sure there are many, many people who manage time better than I.  I tell myself “I’m good” just up until I’m not.  Every time.  At least I can laugh about it.  By the time I actually step in the shower, it’s when I should have already been in the elevator.  By the time I’m walking out the door of the hotel, I’ve still got just enough time to get to where I’m heading when I’m supposed to be there.  But the time I’d assumed would available to get a chicken wrap and a kiwi juice and a triple espresso there at Starbucks has absolutely evaporated. 




During a class break I swing back and place my order.  Considering my time-piece-phone it would appear that I have just about five minutes to wolf this down and get myself back before class resumes, when I’d suggested everyone else ought to similarly return.  There are many retirement age Shanghainese, yes, I know they are Shanghainese by their diction and the get-dah’s and “mug-uhs” and the “va-la’s” at the end of every phrase.  They seem wealthy in spite of themselves.  They all seem fairly lost, but at the same time fully in control.

After class, I make my way back to the hotel.  Phrased this way it sounds further than the three blocks it really is.  My feet aren’t as tired as they sometimes are after you stand on them for five hours.  But handing out papers I could feel my knee almost give.  It didn’t pop, but it nearly did.  Later, I spun and felt my back.  It didn’t give out, but it could have.  The body is increasingly unhappy, standing around for hours on end.  I can’t do it like I used to.



There was a line at the elevator to get to the lobby.  And another one to get to the 44th floor.  But soon I’m there.  The young lady with the remarkable 1930’s Shanghai-bob, is there to welcome guests as always.  She helps to get me a seat by myself alongside a window, over in the back.  I fill up on their none-too-shabby, free spread and have a call with Boston and then one right after with Israel.  And by the end of that I head straight to my bedroom and retire early, right on time. 



Tuesday, 5/21/19



No comments:

Post a Comment