Saturday, June 1, 2019

The Suit’s Ready




Business has certainly changed over the years.  Apparel is one, rather glaring manifestation of this.  I work with companies, helping them to conduct business.  I teach in a business school.  But I rarely ever need to wear a suit.  These days it’s only when I go to Japan.  Maybe Korea.  And even there, it is not necessary to wear a tie.  But today I will.  My little girl is graduating from high school and they have provided a dress code.   

My wife said we were to leave at 1:30PM to get there at 2:00PM.  Its’s a five-minute drive but OK.  I’m ready.  The suit’s ready.  I’ve chosen a tie.  Neither of us are usually very punctual.  We shouldn’t be late today. We take a Di Di over so as not to have to mess with parking and soon we’re making our way across the campus along the way I usually take to go to the gym, past the people playing baseball and soccer. 



There’s a line.  I take my place about twenty people back from the entrance.  My daughter goes to sit on the stairs with a friend.  When my son joins us, he goes to sit with her as well. My wife seems to know everyone, and we pass the time quickly as I am introduced to one person after another.  When we’re finally let in, we are able to get seats in the front row, just down to the left.  Serendipitously the photo of my daughter getting a haircut on 29th St. off Mission St. when she was four or so, is up there on the screen.  It’s replaced by one from when we were climbing the Sistine Chapel and then one with her in a graduation gown and cap.  We caught the rotation just as it had reached the F’s. 



By 3:30PM I have seen those photos of my daughter and all the other members of the graduating class, about seven times.  My daughter’s friend is sitting with us and I ask them both why we came at 2:00PM if the ceremony didn’t start till 3:30PM.  Wife’s orders.  My son has struck up a conversation with a nearby father who has a thick Cantonese accent.  They are talking business and it is too far away for me to join. Finally, the teachers take the stage.  There are two gents I have only ever seen in shorts and tee-shirts at the gym up there, looking sharp in suits and ties.   And then, in pairs, the class of 2019 makes their way past us, up on to the stage and into their seats.  Finally, my little girl passes by and I snap as many photos as I can.



Saturday, 5/25/19

No comments:

Post a Comment