Friday, December 20, 2013

Call It When You Hear It




Remarkable blue sunny day here today.  What pollution?  Recklessly bragging about it on the phone to Mountain View, California.  I’m in a cab riding into the city.  Mingus and Roach as old friends, artfully backing Ellington on “Very Special” in my ears.  This gentleman’s suspension system is on its last legs.  This is clear, from here in the back seat.  Every speed bump’s a jaw rattling drama.  Here comes another.  Ka-thud.  It feels like the axle only has three or four more bumps like that left in it. 

Wound up being shuffled in to a single malt scotch tasting last night, meeting someone who knew someone.  No complaints.  I confess that I hadn’t realized that the twelve-year and the fifteen-year preparations were completely different, not simply the years it took to prepare them.  Always good to learn things like that out loud and in public.  Standing, sipping sniffing for citrus, I met a fascinating young man from Nigeria.  It was all I could do not to rattle off every funky Afrobeat performer I loved from the 70’s to secure his impression.  “Sorry, I’m not familiar with him, either.”  Not surprisingly my fascination for that time and those people was as arcane to him as it would be to the next person of his generation from anywhere in the world.  Fela Ransome Kuti though, the national treasure, everyone seems to know. 



We ended up talking about the great Nigerian novelist Chinua Achebe.  Regular readers know I recently read “Things Fall Apart” to my older daughter.”  I hadn’t realized that Achebe was an Igbo.  And that all the characters and customs in the great novel, like Okonkwo and his yam planting, were therefore Igbo as well.  My scotch mate was Yoruban.   He mentioned that he was also a fan of Achebe, but that the author had released a book, right before his death that was inflammatory.  My new friend said that he wished this book had not been published as it set things back between the Igbo, the Yoruban and other tribes as well.  The Igbo’s it seems, will not let the Biafran war lie.  He wondered if perhaps Achebe hadn’t waited till the time right before his death to do this, as he’d never touched on it before hand during his life.

Discussing I realized how little I really know about the Biafran war that tore Nigeria apart in the late 60’s.  (As always, please do suggest below if you know of a recommended and balanced history.)   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nigerian_Civil_War    Similarly, I wanted to simplify the vastness of Nigeria in my mind as four main tribes.  Hausa and Fulani up north, Muslim. Meanwhile in the south the Yoruba extending over towards Benin and the Igbo down in the Niger River Delta, both Christian and animist.  Repeatedly though I made mistakes, for example assuming the president, Goodluck Jonathan, was an Igbo, based on where I thought he was from, or what tribe the people of Port Harcourt were.  My friend was very patient but firm in correcting me, repeatedly.



Meanwhile, back in the cab here, we’ve picked up speed.  We have a clear shot on the expressway in to the city, which is nice but at 85 KPH this car is shaking like an amusement park ride.  The back is absolutely not stable.  I wonder how long before it just falls off.

From Nigeria we moved to another perennial topic of mine, the schism between China, Japan and Korea.  I called it racism.  He wasn’t sure.  I appreciated the challenge.  For me, if you hate a group of people, who are ethnically other, regardless off what perceived historical offence is supposed to justify this hatred, that is racism.  Clearly it could also be defined easily enough as prejudice.  Before I meet someone I have judgments about who they are.  But racism to my mind is substantively and qualitatively different.  Substantively there is a pseudo scientific perception that someone is of different blood.  Though precisely what defines the separation between this and that ethnicity is subject to debate, it is different from the hatred of say another gender or someone on account of his or her sexual preference.  Qualitatively, racism involves hatred, to my ears.  I think this describes the traditional racist hatred between black and white in the U.S. as well as it does describe the hatred generally defaulted to, between, say, Chinese and Japanese.  For my drinking buddy, the hatred between Japan and China was something more narrow and regional, like the hatred between Igbo and Yoruba, fueled by a specific, local context. 

Racism and the fight against it has its own specific context.  It may be that the term is all too wrapped up in the experience of black and white people to really be usefully employed elsewhere.  But what I like about it is that the word unquestionably connotes something vile, wrong headed, ignorant and repugnant.  It also connotes something that can be triumphed against.  In that way, it is, I think, an apt term to describe the disease in our neighborhood.  I believe that racist hatred in North Asia is virulent, stroked willfully, in part by historical wrongs, and largely unquestioned.



This is precisely the default that held in America before, say, the civil rights movement.  Speaking about a black president during nearly any decade of the previous century would have been solely in ironic terms.  America, warts and all, has made extraordinary progress against the disease of racism.  During the same period of modernizing, China and Japan, have made almost none. So unless someone wants to point out precisely why the term is improper to use in this context, I think what we all put up with here is a racist default.  By and large Japanese people have a racist hatred for Chinese people and Chinese people have a racist hatred for Japanese people.  Pure [1]  Korean people also have a racist hatred toward Japanese people, who largely share the conceit toward Koreans.  And Koreans if not imbued with a hatred for Chinese have a pungent disdain for the Chinese and which is also shared the other way. 

Americans, myself included, have misperceptions about each of these nationalities.  And it is not to say that there isn’t racism as well, that works between Americans and each of those countries.  But I think most would agree that these exchanges are nuanced blending of love and hate, benign fascination and prejudiced disdain.  But we’d be hard pressed to describe the overriding sentiment between, say Japan and China in that fashion.  And whether I’m in a cab in Beijing or a bar in Tokyo I try to call it out when I hear it.  “We hate the Japanese.”  “Ahh, so you’re a racist.”   You can’t really cure an ailment until you properly identify it. 









[1] shēnwùtòngjué:  to detest bitterly (idiom) / implacable hatred / to abhor / anathema

No comments:

Post a Comment