Wednesday, December 4, 2013

Welcome Joe




Welcome to town Joe.  The Vice President is here in Beijing.  Our air is quality is back down to “dangerous for sensitive groups” which is nice. The sun’s out, blue skies. I hope he has a pleasant stay and all the bonding he apparently did early on with Xi Jinping, bears some fruit.  Jinping welcomed his Delaware chum as “my old friend.”

It appears that the Chinese while not backing off the air defense zone claim, have softened the tone for his arrival.  Some regional static with a lesser, regional player, that needn’t ruffle the exchange between the world’s two predominant giants. Fascinating to watch the choreography, isn’t it?  A blunt, forceful gesture, delivered with the delicacy of a mallet, issued knowing full well the VP would be here the following week.  And so, when he comes it is grace, charm and flexibility.  They know how badly America wants to believe that China is flexible and friendly at heart.  Force the tension, force the release, keep them off balance.  It is hard to imagine Hu Jintao referring to anyone, let alone a U.S. leader as “my old friend.”  We’ve come a long way from when Al Gore visited and worked awkwardly the entire time to not be seen next to Premier Li Peng, lest the photo with a infamous Tiananmen axe-man compromise Al’s shot at the presidency. 



Apparently Joe and Jinping spent 5.5 hours making case and counter case.  I can only imagine these meetings are rather tedious and lacking in spontaneity.  But, who knows?  It is a calculated effort underway here to reinforce the notion that China is the only other super power worth the name and that things that happen with secondary powers like Japan, are peripheral.  If Japan doesn’t want this to become a fait acompli they will have to be much more creative about engaging China, than they’ve been to-date.  And those are big shoes for China to fill, when it still acts in ways that suggest regional temper tantrums by hot-head generals, rather than measured big-power magnificence. 脸相迎[1] is something Japan is still better at, for now.

I hope they put “Amtrak Joe” on the 4.5 ride down to Shanghai on the Gaotie.   The high-speed network’s been thrown up in less time than it takes a senator to serve a term or two.  The same trip from say Boston to D.C. on Amtrack would, of course take twice as long.  Joe is apparently a big come-all-yee fan of the Chieftains and must do the ride with “Danny Boy” in his ears to avoid having to talk to the person next to him.  I must make some time for Irish music one day here on the DB.  I adore much of the tradition, but it isn’t what I want to listen to when I write.  Or when I ride.

Rather, I’ve some angular, honking Archie Shepp on the air from his “Live in San Francisco” disc, released two month’s before I was born, in 1966.  He has a startling way of upending familiar songs like “The Girl from Ipanema”, or, what is playing now, Duke Ellington’s “In a Sentimental Mood” which is both respectful and disruptive.  I knew he was close with John Coltrane but I hadn’t realized he’d actually played on the ‘Love Supreme’ set.  His contributions weren’t part of the classic release, but are apparently available.  I’m gonna dig those up.

I recently finished a book my sister recommended, “Let the Great World Spin” by Colum McCann.  It traces the intersection of various New York lives back in 1974 when Philippe Pettit, a tightrope walker walked the span between the newly erected Twin Towers. I hadn’t realized I’d also read and enjoyed an earlier work of his, “This Side of Brightness”, also set in New York, further back in history.  It’s odd, but being from New York and far away from it, I resist reading about it.  The story begins, after a short scene in Ireland with two brothers in the Bronx war zone of the 1970s.  Somehow, I think I already know this story, as I begin.  Fortunately Mr. McCann wirtes well, and architected something remarkable so I continued and was pleasantly rewarded.  I haven’t been back home since the summer and it was good to be there for a spell, reconsidering all the cross cutting cultural tensions that form and reinforce my own identity, in the world beyond China. 



Apparently Mr. McCann lives in Manhattan.  I’m glad that someone still does.  These days when I visit it seems that everyone besides Madonna and Jeffery Sachs have moved off the grand island and set up homes in Brooklyn or the ex-burbs.  Is it facile to imagine returning to Manhattan one day?  Like Merce Eliade’s “Myth of the Eternal Return.”  “There’s no place like home.”  Would I get there and find that all the neighborhoods I used to love are boring and sterile and I’d be constantly heading out to Brooklyn or beyond to meet people?  Honestly I don’t know where I’d really live if I went.  It would be lovely to have a perch on the Upper West Side, but I really don’t know a soul there at this point.  Same for the Village.  I will have to strike out like I did in the dream I referenced yesterday and find some new Avenue H or I to embrace.  The how’s and where’s of returning do press louder after a week of air like we had earlier on this week here in Beijing.



[1] xiàoliǎnxiāngyíng:  to welcome sb with a smiling face (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment