Saturday, December 21, 2013

Waxing Away Now





Still early morning.  But it's a weekend morning and the day is already underway.  Imperceptibly we’ve passed the solstice and I allow myself to perceive that every day now will get longer and longer.  Perhaps I’m a simpleton, but I’m really glad this is the case.  And yes, I get just a little bit sad, when they all start getting shorter again every June. 

Christmas is coming.  Appropriately perhaps, I was reading the “Magicians Nephew” with my younger one.  This is the first of the Narnia books.  The one right before the famous “Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.” (‘TLTWATWD’)  C. L. Lewis wanted the series to be a Christian parable and in the last few minutes we’ve gone through the creation of the world with the little nephew, his friend and a host of others all cast for the first time, into Narnia.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C._S._Lewis




I remember being enamored with the series as a kid and then feeling cheated somehow, realizing that there was a subliminal Christian message that ran throughout.   The Lion as Christ who sacrifices himself to a Witch that is Lucifer.  It all feels a bit predictable when I watched the movie version with my girls, eight or nine times in a row, a few years back.  They get emotional when the Lion sacrifices himself and you try to explain the metaphor but it doesn’t work and its all a bit of an intrusion on the narrative.  This first book I’m pretty sure I’d never read before.  I think I’d launched in as a twelve year old or so with the second book, ‘TLTWATWD.’

This first one is interesting, for me at least, until I feel like I’ve wound up in the Book of Genesis.  Where Aslan 开天辟地[1]  and does six day creation myth in one swift morning.  Early on there is a wonderful treatment of Victorian England that is highly plausible and a cool way station he creates between the worlds with endless pools of water you can enter and go to different realities.  It looks like we’ll only get to see two or three explored in this book, but the concept is quite captivating.   

Apparently C. L. Lewis, and J. R. Tolkien and others all got together and read bits of their work in those days. Tolkien the medievalist apparently talked Lewis out of his Christianity only to have the later return to the fold, later.  I’m noticing how the role of the “Friendly, Honest, Naïve, Irishman” seems to be a stock character the both used, in as much as the Hobbits were supposedly inspired by the Irish.  In this book there is Cabbie who fits the role: “Gawd isn’t it lovely”.  I suppose we should be glad their not drunken stereotypes.  And they are period pieces, written when they were when things were different.  But nonetheless, even as a “plastic paddy” fifth generation Irish American, it all feels a bit patronizing. 

I can remember being in England for the first time as a twenty year old.  It was my first time overseas, en route to Ireland and I encountered these stereotypes that would have been widespread in the U.S. that my grandmother grew up in but I’d never experienced.  I bought a ticket at window in Paddington Station and I must have asked the young clerk if I’d be able to clarify a question at the next window and what I recall him saying was “It’ll be clear as day.  It’s not like its Oirish or something.”  Petty, small comment, delivered with a big, genuine smile.  But it stuck in my ear as an insult; a fresh one that I hadn’t heard before.  “That thing, “oirish” we can all agree is clearly insane:” as a sort of default normalcy.

Anyhow I’ll try to enjoy the rest of the story and not ruin it for my girl.  They know enough about Chinese narratives.  There’s no more important narrative to understand than the Old and New Testament, if your going to confront Western Civilization. 

Christmas parties today, two of them.  One with dear old friends, who are back in Beijing from Mongolia.  It is good to live in Beijing and speak with people from Ulan Bator, the “red hero.”  They’re decompressing.  They swiftly remind you that what you think of as cold or even pollution in Beijing is really quite temperate and workable.   Then it’s off to a Christmas dinner party with more old friends who we’ve shared fifteen years of Beijing memories with.  They do this yearly and sing Christmas carols and play music.  I’m glad my kids can have some sense of this tradition extending beyond their own living room.



My friend has sent me a link through Rdio insisting I listen to “La Nuit Des Ephémères” by General Elektriks.  The mix is somehow dainty and funky in equal measure with startling production clarity.  This is apparently the work of the French producer Hervé Salters.  I’m not sure if he is singing on the two subsequent tracks I heard but they left me a bit cold.  This however is a fine, disturbing soundtrack to confront this first day of the year that waxing lighter, with all its parties to attend. 

I guess I’m old fashioned though. I’m back to my Tina Brooks bebop set pretty quickly. 




[1] kāitiānpìdì:  to split heaven and earth apart (idiom); refers to the Pangu creation myth

No comments:

Post a Comment