Friday, January 24, 2014

Tunnels and More Tunnels




Passing through Aberdeen, now, a second time.  There is something charming about buildings from forty years ago that still stand.  Grotty, past their prime.  In the mainland they didn’t build buildings like this at that time.  And if they did, they’d be largely gone, by now.  But here they belong to someone and they are protected

Look at the guys on the side of the road.  They’re working on the highway and there are cones out to announce their presence, announce their life.  In China we’d just have people out there, picking up trash from the bushes and they wouldn’t be afforded any cones, let alone a sign saying “men working, fines doubled.” Civil servants are all relatively well paid, and are provided with benefits and there is a dignity among people who enjoy a good standard of living no matter what their work.  The one glaring exception here is domestic helpers, who should be hired from the local population but are not.  And Filipinas are imported at rates that are nearly unliveable. 

My driver this morning is a bit edgy.  Young, smart, A.D.D. perhaps as he fiddles with his phone and the radio and whatever else is within reach.  Disconcerting to look over and see the car next to you driven from what should be the passenger seat.  A ghost car.  But they all are.  Relax.  Going off across from the west of the island to the eastern crossing on to Kowloon for a 10:00AM meeting.  I need to double check my breath. Cold trout on my salad for breakfast. I’d better get some breath mints.



Our driver is making funny noises.  I hear Cantonese and think you and understand.  What I think he said was “Pai, Pai” as we come into a line of traffic.  That might mean “line, line” in Mandarin, as in “paidui.”  But it might be something completely different in Cantonese.  Then he repeated the phrase “yu san” twice.  Now, that could mean umbrella in Mandarin.  But  it is an absolutely beautiful sunny day, so why would anyone be yelling that into their phone?  He may be buying one for his uncle.  What do I know?

The traffic is remarkably efficient, once again.  We’re moving through dense congestion without pause.  Will the mainland ever be able to drive this way?  Oh, I’d say it is unlikely in my life time.  This is the legacy, as much as any, of British rule.  Literally.  These are the rules.  Obey them.  Or there will be a penalty.  It’s been that way since every person can remember.  And as a result, it works.  Perhaps technology will create a “rule” of law that ultimately causes Chinese people to self correct. 

It is wonderful to see the other traffic, the maritime traffic, in the harbor.  I’m looking over now from North Point and there is a long new structure that looks like a futuristic racetrack about a mile long, up beside the waterfront.  I bet home boy will know.  “The government has taken the old airport”, my driver tells me and “turned it now into a cruise pier”.    OK.  Cool. Now I know.   Every modern harbor should have a cruise pier, I suppose. I pause to imagine what the marketing brochures would say, to render this majestic. 

Now we’re heading down and through the Eastern Harbor Tunnel.  You seen one Harbor tunnel you seen them all.  That must be a universal law of tunnels that they don’t allow for advertisements, right?  All this remarkable wall space that thousands of people every day, have no choice but to look at, is blank and black.  Don’t get me wrong, I’m glad for the darkness.  How long will it be though, till our tunnels are invaded like the back taxi cabs and every other advertiseable space in the world.  As in the MTR, or most subways, one could imagine one long LCD screen, covering all the black space, that would broadcast remarkable imagery to vulnerable eyeballs.  Presumably people would actually pay attention to these seductive ads and accidents would multiply. If there is a place where this will happen first it isn’t Hong Kong, but across the border in the mainland where everything is for sale if you know the right person.

Now we’ve popped out. The other side and the sign welcomes us to Kwun Tong  I’m five minutes from my meeting, but I’m not too worried.  I’ll have to put this my lap top down and get ready to dash off soon.  I need a breath mint after my fish and salad breakfast.  It lingers. I fear for the people I meet.  Rubbing my chin I realize I forgot to shave in my haste.  Look over there.  The entrance to a temple  “Tian Hou Fo” “Heaven after Buddha?”  There is a walk way that heads up around a corner to a little temple beneath four crisscrossing highway overpasses.  I thought it was tough to meditate and find repose on the MTR yesterday.  What if your temple was beneath three or four highways.  I can’t see actual site.  But I know what it looks like already.  I tried to get a picture of the entrance, the walkway up to the flags, but it was too many touches of he screen and there’s a bus beside me now.  Like the monkey said when he had is tail cut off by the train.  “Can’t be long now.”

Meeting done.  This time, I’ll take the MTR.  Riding along now to North Point.  Instead I’ll change for the next line at Quarry Bay.  And immediately I’ll regret it because the adjoining line is 400 meters away, instead of across the track.  Now we’re heading under the Harbor, once again.  No ads in this tunnel either.  Perhaps we should have advertising here. I’m not the first idiot to have had this though.  For now, it’s just dark outside.  How merciful.  No smiling faces or ripped abs to consider.  Just the walls of the harbor tunnel.  No ads. They’ll come someday, when there is an easy way to update them remotely.  Some day we’ll harken back to when you could proceed through a tunnel and just see black.   


One of the things I always do in Hong Kong is buy my kids books.  I still believe that 开卷有益[1] Books stores are one of the final frontiers for foreign enterprise penetration into China.  Books, like the Internet are the purview of the propaganda ministry and unlike clothing or hardware, you can’t sell just any information.  All written material must be approved ahead of time.  In Beijing we’ve always had the marvelous Bookworm bookstore that miraculously existed and was able to sell a remarkable selection of books.  But chain stores were never allowed in to compete with Xinhua, the state sanctioned book store.  Xinhua bookstores are characteristically anachronistic and useless for English titles.  How we have the Singapore chain Page One that has managed to open a huge store in San Li Tun.  And while many sensitive titles may not be available, a range of classics are which is better than nothing. 

Regular readers will know that I read the first of the Narnia books “The Magicians Nephew” to my daughter recently and now she read “The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe” by her self, after having seen the movie about 23 times when she was younger.  I bought the seven-book set just now. (for a cool US $70 or so, which is obscene)  “The Horse and His Boy” the third book then, is now on deck.  I’d read it when I was twelve or so and I can only imagine it would all come back to me, but for now I can’t remember anything that happens in this book.   Blissful ignorance may prevail if she reads it herself, as I’m hoping.  Meanwhile I got my older daughter Karen Blixen’s (a.k.a.  Isak Dinesen) “Out of Africa.” 

I read the first chapter on the ride to the airport, this afternoon, out past the docks and past the inlet where the pink dolphins still, for now, swim.  Let’s just say she’s easier to read than her contemporary, Edith Wharton.   What’s my agenda?  I want my daughter to imagine a smart, empowered European woman of 80 years prior making a living for herself in East Africa and writing about it.  It’s not the first foray we’ve had into that demographic.  I bought her Beryl Markham’s book “West With Night,” which I always adored.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beryl_Markham

Somehow, my older daughter didn’t like it.  “Yeah, yawn. The so the lion almost eats her. Yawn. So what?”  This, to me, seems impossible.  Stories of having the king of the jungle roar over your head and nearly devour you, stories of flying over the Odyssian sea and nearly plummeting into the brine all somehow didn’t move my daughter.  “It’s not Percy Jackson.”  Oh dear. Well, I’m not sure if Isak Dinesen’s depiction of Somali women’s laughter will impact differently.  But I will try. 

"The Somali women themselves, had dignified, gentle ways, and were hospitable and gay, with a laughter like silver bells.  I was much at home in the Somali village through my Somali servant Farah Aden, who was with me all the time that I was in Africa, and I went to many of their feasts.  A big Somali wedding is a magnificent traditional festivity.  As a guest of honor I was taken into the bridal chamber, where the walls and the bridal bed were hung were hung with old, gently glowing weavings and embroideries and dark-eyed, young bride herself was stiff, like a marshal’s baton, with heavy silks, gold and amber.”

I’ve never been to East Africa.  An aching deficit.  My ears enjoy the music from the part of the continent I have traveled to, where the fauna is less diverse and profound but the human civlilizational majesty is perhaps unsurpassed.  It is the Nigerian, Yoruban maestro Tunji Oyelana, who’s collection “A Nigerian Retrospective from 1966 to 1979” is divine.  Tunji does not appear to have a Wiki page, but I did find an interesting review of the collection on line:  http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/storefront/2012/11/graded-on-a-curve-tunji-oyelana-a-nigerian-retrospective-1966-79/

Now I know that he was not only a musician but also a comedian.  OK. what’s does that mean?  Is he laughing at his own jokes on the disc?  If you’re a tremendous musician but also, apparently a comedian, what was it precisely you used to do that was funny?  If you listen to this disc there are many times, such as in the phatter than fat song “Ifa” where he laughs and laughs again way out loud.
http://www.thevinyldistrict.com/storefront/2012/11/graded-on-a-curve-tunji-oyelana-a-nigerian-retrospective-1966-79/   Perhaps there is something ribald to the Yoruban lyrics that I’m not getting.

The article only offers a tease.  But a wonderful one:

Where to place Tunji Oyelana, whose work has recently been corralled by the Soundway label into the expansive 2CD/3LP/digital compilation? A Nigerian Retrospective 1966-79, into all of this? Well for starters, he doesn’t necessarily fit the mode of the musician whose creativity was incorrectly assessed as being of a mainly commercial nature. Early in his career he established a long relationship with the writer-playwright and future Nobel Prize winner Wolf (sic) Soyinka, joining the theatre troop 1960 Masks. This connection with Soyinka, a stridently political artist who was jailed in the ‘60s, evolved over the years and eventually produced Unlimited Liability Company.

“Unlimited Liability Company” . . . I wish Id’ thought of that. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wole_Soyinka  What precisely remains of the work that, while preforming abroad, got them black listed?  I’m listening now to the song “Panbolanbola” which is like trigonometry made danceable.  The backing vocals alluring, his voice utterly convincing.  Head on off to England, I suppose if the Hausa minority don’t like the jokes you make or the music you play.

OK.  It’s late now, up in Beijing.  Back home.  Time for bed.




[1] kāijuànyǒuyì  lit. opening a book is profitable (idiom); the benefits of education

No comments:

Post a Comment