Saturday, January 11, 2014

We're Still Living Like That




Internet down.  So many things come to a stop.  Streaming music, daily news, emails all disappear.  It will be back up in a bit.  But it’s good to notice the hum of life without what for half my life we never had and never missed. 

Two hours later.  Internet’s back on.  Everyone’s at the kitchen table.  Homework on a Sunday.   I made a bowl of gnocchi with tomato sauce, parmesan cheese some leeks for the hard working ladies.  I peeled and pulled with my hands at a big youzi (a.k.a. a pomelo) and separated the fruit from the rind and tossed that in a big bowl as well.  A smaller bowl holds some peeled mandarin oranges.  I always make a big smoothie in the morning that’s strictly fruit and veggies.  Accordingly no one touches it but me. 

Music is cranking.  I am enduring.  We are not listening early 70’s funk from Benin.  Nor is it a swingin’ bop set from the late 50’s.  Avril Lavigne’s latest creation is on, loud.  This was a Christmas present to my younger daughter from her older brother.  His heart was in the right place.  The intent was to challenge the overwhelming popularity of E.X.O., the half Korean half Chinese boy band that they are otherwise enthralled by.  He’d taken them to see her in Tokyo a few years back so the soil was fertile.  This will not be a Sunday of [1]

We have “Here’s to Never Growing Up” on at the moment.  I feel like the village idiot in the corner laughing to myself.  No one else seems to be catching the lyrics.  http://www.azlyrics.com/lyrics/avrillavigne/herestonevergrowingup.html

Singing Radiohead at the top of our lungs
With the boom box blaring as we're falling in love
Got a bottle of whatever, but it's getting us drunk
Singing, here's to never growing up

We'll be running down the street, yelling "Kiss my ass!"
I'm like yeah whatever, we're still living like that
When the sun's going down, we'll be raising our cups
Singing, here's to never growing up

What to make of this?  Cliché piled upon cliché.  Vague wafts of authentic suburban frustration, hints of something like real defiance, packaged, and over produced into Twinkie-tunes that offer my daughters junk food sustenance, and Maybelline identities.   I am both relieved and disappointed that there is nothing truly threatening beyond the soma-like banality of it all.



And it is in English.  I am sensitive to this and like my stepson I want to encourage their interest in music sung in English.  The not-so-subconscious assumption here is that the western music tradition, the grand progression of all folk, classical, blues, jazz, rock, punk, hip hop that spawns from the western tradition is richer and better somehow, than the musical traditions of North Asia.  That you’ll need to understand something about “cool” if you’re going to be a refined post-modern global citizen.  And it is difficult to really learn about it, with J, K, C or Z-pop. 

And I appreciate that the subconscious seems arrogant and presumptuous (though perhaps still correct) in the cold light of print.  I’m sensitive to this.  If the tunes they listen to are in Chinese or Korean, I’m much less likely to understand what is being said.  I have to look it up.  I am somewhat more sensitive to commenting on something in another language.  But the music doesn’t need translation and I’m quicker to dismiss it, because it clearly isn’t funky and I don’t see it burgeoning or rooted in anything very compelling.  But what do I really know about musical “underground” in any of these regional countries? 



When it’s Avril it’s much more straightforward.  Ms Levigne’s lyrics are like being set up for a canned laugh on a sitcom that I have never watched but already know and it is very difficult to resist the urge to mock it.    And of course if I’m interested in anything other than a mockery as default discourse with my daughters, I must.  Frank Sinatra-parents hated the Beatles and my parents thought punk rock was abysmal and so it goes.  I have surrounded them with varied music all their lives and the only thing to do is let their own tastes evolve and hope to meet them up around the bend, when their tastes mature and hopefully they develop that sense that music is broadly fascinating. 

Meanwhile, wonderfully, it hasn’t all been written.  Hopefully they’ll get their hands on something truly blows me away and makes me reconsider what popular music, or genuine protest or the conflation of media might be.  I think I’m even open to it being from here.   It’s not exactly “Hope I die before I get old” but sure, “here’s to never growing old.”


[1] lǎodiàochóngtán:  to play the same old tune (idiom); unoriginal

No comments:

Post a Comment