Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Physical Limits




Calls come in.  People need to talk, now.  Calls finish.  Follow-ups beckon, now.  New emails, while you were taking care of that quick email.  Let me just bang this thing out.  One hour turns to two.   Everything seems to have a certain predictable flow and rhythm when you wake up early and tick the must-do boxes methodically. Once you’re up late, even an hour later, it never works the same.  Even the calm, feels like catch-up calm. 

The culprit?  The Olympics.  A misdemeanor for sure.  But I was up there, continuing on the cathode overload mode that seems to be a New Year’s theme to contemplate the half pipe snowboarders, and the exquisite couples figure skaters and woman speed skaters who move like some rarified jungle cats.  Invariably my girls wanted to comment that this guy looks like a dork, or that guy is definitely  not handsome.  “Who is then?”  “No one!”  But the Olympics, fortunately is not a dating game or talent show.  Any of these people, even the ones who toss and brush the hot water kettle down the ice (what is that sport’s name?)  are in peak physical shape.   Its more like watching a nature program where a cheetah chases down a gazelle and you marvel at the sheer physicality. 



I’ll grant you, that guy does look like a dork.  But look at him move!  It no longer matters.  Dorkiness is redeemed and elevated through training.   Inarticulateness is excused, transcended by the majesty of movement.  I found myself unwittingly repeating over and over, “don’t they look beautiful?” 

And it is interesting because every corporeal body has physical limits.  You’re getting pretty close to the known physical limits of the body when you leap up and twirl four times and land without falling.  You can conceptualize doing it six times.  But the body can not, yet, sustain.  And I, myself, can conceptualize everything being honkey dory after four and half hours sleep just as it would be with six.  But it doesn’t work that way.  The kids are off school and I don’t have to get up.  So you roll and you flop for a bit longer and the sun doesn’t stop rising. 

Last night I was kidding around with my younger one.  She had a Beijing Opera mask I gave her for Christmas and we decided to film a few comedic vignettes.  What makes a scene funny?  We had no script, just the mask.  A simple premise:  “where is that guy?  If I get my hands on him I’ll, I’ll,  agghgghgh “  “who are you?”  “none of your business.”  We did it over about a dozen times and I found myself coaching her on, timing.  “Take two breaths before you say “business.”  “Pause at the bottom of the stairs and let the tension build.”  I think of comedy as somehow innate, but I realized, working with her, that it was also something one could teach. 

And, better by far to learn from real cinematographic masters.  So this morning I added a few more minutes of delay to my sleep deprived, delayed everything morning to show her some Charlie Chaplin.  I labored, frankly to find a good clip. It’s so hard to get contemporary, iPhone youth to slow down enough to take in a black and white clip.  One or two from “The Kid” didn’t cut it.  But I found this absolutely apt clip about sleep deprivation, called “A Beautiful Sunday Morning” where in our man Charlie is woken up by a kick in back side by a mean looking farmer.  Once, twice and then three times he keeps falling back to sleep.  I tried to show my daughter how the farmer’s frustration built each time and how this added to the humor.  But no explanation was necessary, I think.  She was giggling.  From here to Buster Keaton and on to Bugs Bunny and Lenny Bruce, Woody Allen and Bill Hicks, to Margaret Cho and before long we’ll have it all sorted.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbBDO_nsuqs   I hope.

What is it about an audience?  You do music alone, you state things aloud alone or do most things solo and it is manageable and only ever so electric.  But an audience, even a potential audience and there is potential risk and reward.  I was late to the gym so there were people.  Usually it is deserted.  Two other gents on the running machine.  The classic Santana “Abraxas” version of “Oye Como Va” came on the mix.  All of a sudden I’m sashaying over to the water cooler and, yes, doing air guitar.  Fortunately I don’t think the caught me do the air-bending.  But if they had, they would have known immediately that I truly knew and understood that lead.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraxas_(album)



Beijing is now, talking to Taipei, officially, after 65 years. Truly, 好事多磨[1].  That’s one chengyu I didn’t even have to look up.  We’ve come a long way from missiles over the Straits and aircraft carriers in response.  This is, rhetorically at least, a “family” feud and perhaps we shouldn’t draw too much from this.  But I hope it augers for a similar rapprochement one day between China and Japan.  We need positive examples to see our way out of this current drudgery.  Back in 1997, Cross Straits relations looked all but certain to be heading towards open conflict.  Next thing you know Beijing may even be able to kiss and make up with that other long-view Olympiad, the Vatican.





[1] hǎoshìduōmó:  Good things take time.  The road to happiness is strewn with setbacks (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment