Friday, February 7, 2014

You Are Here, and Here




Driving along the coast in area between Yantai and Penglai during our ongoing New Year’s exploration of Shandong.  To our left is an enormous faux Bavarian monstrosity that is apparently the Changyu wine maker’s “Wine City” wine park.  Fortunately, it is closed. 

My dear friend sent me a link to a comparatively recent album by Mulatu Astatke.  I wrote him back that I already had it and that it was on regular rotation in my car.  I can remember I was on a visit to San Francisco a few years back and popped into Rasputin Records there near Union Square.  On one of the top floors dedicated to “international” I got to work searching for things and suddenly noticed the remarkable sounds they had playing.  “Who is this?” I asked.  “Oh, Mulatu Astake” said the young gent with the commonality of delivery he might use to say “Mick Jagger” or “Ricky Martin.” “Oh, I see.”  It sounded vaguely Ethiopian and he confirmed that it was.  “You can find him over in ‘African’ under “A”. 

My buddy wrote me back quickly, though and said “How about this one?” And provided a link to “Inspiration Information 3” which is Mulatu Astake with the London based, solar system focused, Heliocentrics.  “No.” I replied. “I’ll dig in.” I’m quite glad I did.  It is absolutely gorgeous.  Born in the Ethiopian city of Jimma, having grown up in the U.K. and later lived in the U.S., Mulatu Astake it seems, is devoted to fastening a perennial grasp on angular modernity.  I thought the last disc was disturbingly contemporary, but this new collaboration is refined gutter-grit, polished sophistication.  I still haven’t got my arms around it.  It’s wonderful to approximate an embrace.   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mulatu_Astatke

Making our way down the eight-laned boulevard known as Yangze River Road.  Pedestrians have no choice, and no fear, to cross the road before us, randomly, compromising all traffic flow.  The buildings along the road are mostly ten to twenty years old, which makes them look forty to fifty year old.  Rust drops down from the charactered signs, billboards covering construction sites are torn and flapping.  To my right is an enormous red sculpture, that probably came with instructions for how to keep it looking new to which the village elders have said apparently replied:  “Phooey.  No need” to. 

The place we’re staying is right on the beach and indeed, the rolling beech is beautiful.  With a widows-walk you could stare out all day and just muse on 碧海青天[1]  But, alas, across the street is a tremendous General Motors factory and beside the little stretch of beach they’ve tried to protect are seventeen skyscrapers that tower over the surf.  The word “unspoiled” as assigned to beaches, comes to mind, longingly.  This road towards the city of Yantai along the coast has a host of huge chemical plants along it that we passed last night.  Our hotel manager was boasting that unlike Qingdao, the beaches and the sea here were not polluted.  I’d like to believe her.  As my wife says, “the old, the new are all mixed up here.”



I should take a picture of some of the machinery equipment stores that flash product up above their meager store fronts on this road.  Hand drills and peanut oil machines modeled as if they were this season’s cool clothes to wear.  Reminds me of seeing automatic weapons modeled as such on the Afghani boarder in Pakistan. How confusing and rough it must have all been when this traditional Shandong population was ruled by Europeans, in the port city they called “Cheefoo” some 110 years ago. 

Having arrived and toured, Yantai is a bit rough. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yantai  Charming, and evocative in a poorly managed, poorly preserved, poorly serviced sort of way.  On the coast, set below a rough hill face, with odd bits of extant architecture in the ‘old’ town, I had my fingers crossed.  We went to the Changyu wine museum.  Initially I was fascinated that the company, Changyu, is actually over 120 years old.  The great Qing diplomat, statesman Li Hong Zhang helped to launch the company with state funds in the 1890s.  The cellar was rebuilt three times and now stands as the oldest in Asia.  I was having a grand old time and developing a taste for libations until I got to the tasting room, where the two ladies in drab over coats welcomed me with all the panache of washroom attendants.  “There’s a dry red and a dry white.   Huh?  The Grape?  The bottle’s over there.” “Gimme your ticket.   Ticket punch before you taste anything.”  http://www.changyu.cn/english/homepage.asp

Safely below expectations.

I shook it off and proceeded on the tour.  Upstairs they have a state capitalist approach to the question of: ‘the world of wine.’  Who makes the most?  Stats were provided for each country.  Surprise, France not only makes the most wine in the world, but also drinks the most per capita.  Surprise, China’s production is catching up.  The label exhibit was pleasant and more than a little alluring and once again I was starting to get thirsty. 

Ahh, just the thing.  Up ahead they have a bar with stools and a chalkboard menu.  “Hi, please let me know about the different things you have available?”  “Oh, sure.  Oooh.  We have nothing.  Nnnnnn Yes.  Nothing.”  “Nothing?”  Looking: “Ahhhhhhhh, let’s see.  Hmmmm  Nothing.”  “Nothing?  Why?  You have eight million bottles of wine here in this facility, let’s find one we can open, shall we?”    We got another lady who confirmed that if I really wanted, she had one bottle in the fake oak cask refridgerator, from which she could provide one shot of ice wine to sell to me for $8.50.  They had nothing else, whatsoever.  I see.  Yes, well that’s just how it is.    

I tried to complain as politely as I could to a lady who assured me she was a manager and who looked very grave and serious as she nodded.  Waste of oxygen I suppose.  I decided to head out to the car.  My wife stayed with the girls to have a wine label made from one of their photographs.  I chatted with a friend on the phone.  Then, my gal stormed out with them a moment later fuming “that little girl was so rude, it’s unbelievable!”  This from the home-team Shandong lady.  I’m always half certain it is my issue when I get peeved, but now I’m here talking my wife back from the brink of the “they don’t get it!” paradigm. 

We were told to head to “Chao Yang Street” to see old architecture.  Walking along the kids were cold and done rather quickly.  I soldiered on.  There are some lovely, haunting old European buildings.  Someday they’ll do a good job with whatever remains.  But they’re too busy now building the ‘new’ city, it would seem to protect something that someone else built that doesn’t tower over much of anything.  ‘Cheefoo’the colonial name (zhi fu) for Yantai always strikes me as a homophone for the Chinese word qifu, 负, which means ‘to bully’, which is, or was, perhaps a rather appropriate assignation.



We’ve now driven on to the “horse rearing island” YangMaDao.  It’s a bit of a stretch from, say, Chincoteague, but it has its own uniqueness.   I haven’t seen anyone riding a horse nor any sign of manure yet.  The racetrack is closed.  There are some equestrian statues.  The road around the back of the island is pretty.  There’s a tasteful little walkway amidst the pines and a museum that would have been interesting if it was open.  But I’ll have to look it up as to why, precisely any of this this was important for horse rearing.  The island is basically a hilly outcropping, not a broad, gallop-able plain. Apparently the original roughneck emperor, Qin Shi Huang named this island his horse stable of choice.  I would have thought the grasslands in the north, where the enemies always hailed from, would have been a better place to raise stallions.

Pull over.  We just referred to a large roadside map that has “You Are Here” marked with a triangle.  Alas the map has two triangles at opposite sides of the island providing a metaphysically challenging plotting for my daughter and I.   In a heliocentric world, you can’t be “here” and “here”, simultaneously. 

Safely back at the hotel.  Sea outside continues to crash, blue to green on the yellow sand.  Penglai, with a bit of luck, tomorrow.







[1] bìhǎiqīngtiān:  green sea, blue sky (idiom); sea and sky merge in one shade / loneliness of faithful widow

No comments:

Post a Comment