Saturday, February 1, 2014

This is Yellow




No one wanted to wake up early this morning.  And though I threw open the shades at six after my shower to let some gentle morning light in, all I got was the glare of the hotel parking lot lights, and darkness.  Outside a wet, salty fog had descended on the land for the second day of this horse year. 

Someone had the streetlights off at this hour.  We wiped the inside of the window and the out, we tried brights and defrosters, but the view was never more than a few feet.  Slowly we crawled up along past darkened towers, local government offices, to the rendez vous with my brothers in law and their families.

The dull thud of fireworks, everywhere at once, off in the distance this morning. Wetness now, such an overdue blessing.  Without the rain, some rain, 青黄不接[1]  The crusty, dusty polluted ground is bathed finally and the colors change.  I don’t know if the same mist settled across Beijing to the north west.  I hope so.  Everything outside is now a striking ochre mud.  There are man-made reds and blues on cars and on signs but they can only slightly off set the dominant yellow. It is everywhere.  Everything seems made from it.



Arriving at the village we are greeted by my wife’s aunt and various extended family.  Come inside.  “A Happy New Year”  “Wishing you well.”  But then, immediately the men begin fixing to go to the grave site.  They rise and go.  I follow.  Into my brother’s Audi with my two brother in laws.  Sitting beside me enough fireworks to destroy a small bridge.  My older brother lights a cigarette.  Perhaps you could put that out. 

The ancestral grave has been moved to make way for a road a few years back, it is explained.  We used to be able to walk to the site.  Now we must drive.  And we go for a few kilometers off the main road out to a dirt road.  It’s a one-way dirt path.  We are late.  Traffic is piling out.  So everyone pulls over and gets out to let the traffic out.  Everyone seems to know one another.  Tractors pull wagons and three wheeled trucks struggle with the mud hills.  But no one gets frustrated.  People jump out and offer to help. And after a 10-minute wait, our line gets to move forward.

We park out next to what I’m told is an enormous bauxite to aluminum factory.  This part of Shandong have overbuilt three or four such plants to make them the largest producers for aluminum smelting in the world, and they struggle to import raw bauxite from Indonesia and purer still from the Cameroon if they can get it.  Complete surprise, my ladies have decided to come out too.  They will be the only women at this ceremony.  I’d thought not to rock the boat this year, but two points for my wife who’s braved the offence of tradition and brought them along.  One year, my wife warned that her presence at the ceremony would be cited if any inauspicious things happened during the year.  Men send the ancestors home.

I trod over behind an in law with a box or two of explosives and am directed to the family mounds.  Two of the nearest mounds are people who I knew when they walked the earth, my father in law and his younger brother.  Behind them, near the family tombstone is the altar of their father and the ancestral remains.  The nephews and cousins and uncles and assortment of men are streaming over with boxes and crates of explosives. 

I try to explain to my girls what I know of the ceremony and the significance.  We are symbolically scaring away evil spirits so the ancestors who were welcomed to join the family on New Year’s eve, can now safely return to the netherworld.  First paper money is burned and food is offered and fires now smolder over the various mounds.  Boxes of fireworks that shoot straight up and explode with a thud a pinwheel of light are set up to go thirty yards in either direction.  My little girl is scared and I try to comfort her, but I also want to be honest.  It’s gonna get a lot louder, soon. 

Men now stand over the actual graves holding a stick extending it out over the tomb and now hundreds of commanding explosions begin.  The noise is remarkable, and completely overwhelming.  Keep your wits about you.  There are piles of fireworks everywhere and fires burning all about.  One cousin, “Old Number Six” holds the stick with so much gunpowder out over the grave and now, suddenly seems to have been hurt.  An abrasion on his face.  But they continue. 

To my side an enormous crate is unpacked and slowly a long rope bridge worth of a thousand or more index finger sized explosives in red, is rolled out, over the broad grave area culminating in the main tomb.  My brother in law has a stick with a burning ember but struggles to light the fuse.  Again he tries.  Now his cousin lifts the near end of this dynamite weaving and throws it on to a smoldering fire.  Well, I think, that’ll do it.  And it does. 

Capstone, crescendo, surreal explosions now.  They knew and saved the most uproarious bit for the end.  There is an odd rhythm to the banging and smacking, picking up and slowing down and then, perhaps a knot where all at once some fifty or more combine to explode.  Then it ceases and everywhere is red paper and fumes and the explosions from further off return into earshot. 

Heading back to the car my cousin breaks off to a different site a good two hundred meters from the main grave area and repeats the process.  At first I figure he had extras he just wanted to set off for fun.  No.  My wife explains.  He lost a wife to brain cancer two years ago.  She was not his wife long enough to merit being buried with the main, family line.  She has her own site that he is now paying homage to.  He has been remarried and is one of the few people his age now with two children. 

Back home, as bragged about, the most remarkable jiaozi or dumplings in the world.  Dozens spinning in the enormous big pot with the straw covering. The skin made from wheat grown locally.  The xianr juicy and fresh. To relieve yourself you head to the small adjoining daub and wattle construction, that holds the outhouse and the store room for coal.  I summon my daughters who reluctantly come and I try to show them what daub and wattle is in the main house and how there is real straw in the roof and that the house is heated with coal, that warms the kang bed in the other room that is otherwise always chilly.  And I ask them to imagine for a minute what it was like, for their mother to grow up here, as she did.



Debates, barely intelligible in thick local dialect.  Who to visit, what to bring, and people head out and people come back and food is laid out and nobody eats it though I and others are encouraged to eat, eat.  We eat some.  Then we are told we’re going.  We’re going to visit my mother in law’s family now, in the adjoining village, Liu Pu.  Back in our car there is a disc playing the classic OKeh Ellington numbers from 1927 to 1930.  http://www.amazon.com/Okeh-Ellington-Duke/dp/B00000274L  We have “The Mooche” on now and it sounds wonderfully appropriate, creeping, lurching along through this time warp, slowly, moving along the thick muddy roads, up and down past all this remarkable yellow, yellow soil.




[1]  qīnghuángbùjiē:  lit. yellow does not reach green (idiom); the yellow autumn crop does not last until the green spring crop / temporary deficit in manpower or resources / unable to make ends meet

No comments:

Post a Comment