Thursday, September 18, 2014

Ordering From Memory




Back in the pick of the litter jia chang cai Shanghai, family style restaurant I found on my last extended stay down here.  It’s clean.  This is certainly something in its favor.  Walking down to enter the roof is low for an attitudinally challenged gent like myself.  Sitting down, it doesn’t matter.  The patroness is off behind the bar, cum counter.  The interior is a modernist black and grey with recessed neon, up above.  Everyone is smoking.  And this doesn’t matter to me either. 

I’ve just ordered enough food for two.   A place like this evokes a certain nostalgia for a time gone by when I might have ordered eight dishes and as many beers for what I’m about to pay.  I’m tempted by this place because they have some Shanghai dumplings on the menu that they have had available.  But the promise infects my calculus, all the same. 

What have I ordered?  Upon reflection it wasn’t very diversified.  Two of the dishes, as per their names, have similar sauces.  I can recall as my wife wisely pointed out to me when we’d ordered up-market Chinese dishes fifteen years ago in a place like Boston that, upon closer inspection, all the dishes we’d ordered has the same sauce despite the divergent, evocative names.  These dishes are far enough apart, but I could have balanced the intake with a bit more foresight. 

I’d already tasted the peanuts of my gongbaojiding in my mind.   The Shanghainese version of this dish, popularized along the Yangzi and available now around the world, is pared-down simple, it’s chicken cubes, it’s bald peanuts, a sweet sauce and maybe a leek or two.  In the right hands, the dish is celestial, as the 天兵天降[1] general would have preferred.  Having been introduced to it here in Shanghai, twenty-one years ago, that is the way the dish should taste, and never does anywhere else in the country, let alone the beastly way General Tso’s Chicken is usually served up in the United States.[2]  And for years now, passing through Shanghai on business the dish is embellished and ruined with macadamia nuts or some other nonsense allowing the proprietor to slap a zero on to the end of the pricing. 



But after ascertaining that this joint had no xiao long baozi dumplings tonight, I also confirmed that they did not offer General Tso’s chicken, either. Oh dear.  “What chicken then, do you have?  Huh?  No.  No.  No.” I stated, flipping through the gilded menu I spied some “fish like pork slicing” and ordered yuxiangruosi.  But my pictorial fancy had already decided on the attractive photo they had of the “fish like eggplant” yuxiang qiezi.  I ordered both from memory and moved on consider some sort of green vegetable.  I wanted that unique taste of doumiao, which is the leaf of some type of bean.  They didn’t have it.  Nor did they have kale.  But they did have something I knew would taste like a condensed leaf, spirulina-dense, garlic flavored memory in my mind hoard.  And it does.  Sometimes pictures don’t lie. 

For any normal person with a sentient sense of their stomach wall limitations, this would have sufficed and been the point at which to say, jiu zhe yang or that’s about it, and be done with it.  I considered the possibilities of tofu and ordered a family style version of the bean curd where the exterior would be good and hard and the spicing only slight.  "Give me (an entirely unnecessary) bowl of rice, bring it out at the beginning", because otherwise Chinese will serve it when you’re done with everything else.  And a beer. 

So the tastes are a solid “good.”  And despite the nomenclature there is enough difference between the sauces to make for a sense of culinary balance.  The patron wanted to settle up and I sent her packing asking for a second beer.  "I'm not done yet."  But when she returned I gallantly handed her the requisite funds confirming that should I want another beer, she was still obliged to provide it to me.  Wasn't she?  She was.

Now they’ve turned one section of the neon lights out.  It’s their gesture to the Klingons here that the staff, who have taken to parading the place, want to go home.  No one here cares at all.  There are two guys back in the corner who make me wonder what discreet humanity every used to before noise reduction headsets were invented  They are arguing in high voices, at the top of their lungs.  They’re well-on-the way to oblivion.  The other tables without noise reduction headsets seem to carry on. 

One of the functionaries is staring at me.  There is nothing else to do but stare back.  Hi.  She decides, eventually that this is fascicle and turns around, frustrated that this heretofore amusing view, is now one of confrontation.  Somewhere, behind me, off to the side, the utterly disruptive smell of baijui or sorghum liquor is now confronting my nose.  It smells like Shandong and feels like an invitation to vomit.  I’m so glad I’m not obliged to have any.  I’ll try to pivot the Proustian mnemonic into something like the early part of an evening with my in-laws when the night is full of possibility and reflective observations, before the second or third wincing swallow. 



Walking home through the drizzle I’ve the melancholy trombone of Phil Ranelin guiding me along.  He’s part of this remarkable Detroit jazz scene that Rdio has helped me to uncover.  “A Close Encounter of the Very Best Kind” sounds like it can only have been from the late seventies, playing off the popular movie's title and but it seems to have been recorded in 1996.  “Forever Yours” is helping me to digest, slowly, thoughtfully. Watch that puddle.   He was a session trombonist with Stevie Wonder and has lots of earlier releases but this is all I can find and access for now. Born in Indianapolis in 1939, he is still going strong and appears to be still be based in Detroit.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phil_Ranelin
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                        





[1] tiānbīngtiānjiàng:  celestial troops and generals (idiom) / fig. superior forces

[2] Looked up and though I’m suspicious the general credited with the honorific is Zuo Zongtang who fought along Zeng Guofan against the Taiping.  Certainly Wiki’s suggestion that it was first introduced in New York in the 70’s is nonsense. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zuo_Zongtang

No comments:

Post a Comment