Monday, April 16, 2018

Alive and Well in Hunan





Riding along the highway heading east to Hengshan from the Changsha Airport.  Above us the telltale span of a new high speed rail bridge.  Our driver is the second one we've had this morning.  The DiDi we first ordered wanted to add a fare and make what looked like 150RMB into 1000 RMB.  We bailed and got another driver who confirmed on a 450 RMB fare, which made us feel smart until it became clear that he also wanted 800RMB.  We settled at 700.  We’re on our way. 

The spring is further along down in Hunan as one would expect.  But it isn’t a fresh, light feeling.  It looks like the type of haze that used to settle more frequently over the capital up north.  The pollution we avoided much of this winter in Beijing appears alive and well in Hunan.  Sigh.  It’s a rural scene outside but we’re still close to Changsha.  Perhaps the feeling will change when we get further towards Hengshan.  Perhaps the sun will bake off all this mist in the air, leaving things clear and fresh.  Perhaps It will start to feel like rural air before too long.  But I suspect this is what our day will be.   



Last year we also climbed Hengshan.  But it was a different ‘Heng.’  A different mountain.  (I resist the temptation to pun and suggest that we are, by now rather well-heng, to my children.)  That was Shanxi, the northern of the five holy mountains.  This is Hunan, in the south, our third year in a row of climbing these mountains.  Two left to ascend.  I’m not sure why we decided this was a good, birthday tradition, but I certainly enjoy it:  I like how it marks time.  A bit of travel, a bit of accomplishment, a little bit more of China.  Most importantly it is time with our family together.  We all have too much work that keeps us apart.  And the time is fleeting.  I won’t be able to mandate such things for much longer.



Apparently one can get up and down the mountain in a day.  This better be right.  We won’t be starting out till noon our even 1:00PM.  We’ll have to see.  Tomorrow is down time.  Everyone’s tired. Last night I got home at 1:00AM from Hong Kong, went to bed at 2:00AM and then this morning awoke at 5:00AM to fly here. So it isn’t optimal, restful preparation.  I suppose we’ll be alright.  But I notice that I keep falling asleep as I type.  That’s appropriate.  Perhaps I’ll put this lap top away for a bit and allow myself a chance to to catch up on zz’s.  It is getting a bit clearer outside.  Maybe’ we’ll lucky and have a pristine spring day after all, just like I imagined. 



Saturday 4/07/18


No comments:

Post a Comment