Saturday, January 12, 2019

A Family Then





I think it was my mom who recommended Naguib Mahfouz and his "Cairo Trilogy" to me.  I’m very glad she did.  I’ve had a hard cover version with all three works compiled and it hasn’t been the easy grab when I consider what next to read for a while as a 1313 page commitment.  Ahh, but a tenth of the way in I can tell it's going to be awfully good. 



A family then.  The domineering father’s world.  The cloistered mom.  The five or so children, each of whom is clearly quite distinct and memorable.  It is fascinating to put the time into their plausible world, knowing I’m going to be with them for a while.  Yesterday, eating my tuna salad the oldest son confronted his mother whom he hadn’t seen in nearly a decade.  He was appalled that she would be getting remarried, again.  Her transition from joy to sorrow at seeing him and losing him, was utterly convincing and I easily excused myself to the end of the chapter, long after all the tuna had disappeared.

It should be a work-day, plain and simple today.   Everyone is back to work.  But I’ve take the morning to catch up on writing.  It’s a hygiene matter.   I can’t begin other things unless these writing matters are settled. 



My stepson and his wife have found a place to live.  We’ve pitched in so we can have a room there as well.  They and my wife are all heading down today to look things over and decide how to furnish things, in what is apparently a completely bare space.  I may stop by on my way home from the barber.  This head of hair grows horizontal before it grows long and it must be clipped back now, to start the New Year right.



Wednesday, 01/02/19

No comments:

Post a Comment