Saturday, March 2, 2019

Was Five Dozen Eggs





I was plodding along out the gym this morning.  Feeling better, always better, than when I'd walked, inside.  Digging around for my gloves.  They're in there beneath my shorts in the big broad pockets of this coat.  Unsolicited, Howlin’ Wolf has now summoned everyone to listen. “If you see my little red rooster, please drive him home.”  And I picture the bird and his crown, and I imagine his winged strut and I see Mssr. Wolf sitting near the barnyards and there are hounds that are howlin’ too. 



Later, at home, we have eggs.  I’d say we have about five dozen eggs in the bottom of the fridge.  Why?  Our Ayi has returned from Hubei.  She took a hard sleeper, I presume and among the many things she brought back to Beijing was five dozen eggs for us.  I would have thought traveling with one dozen eggs at Chinese New Year on the crowded trains would have been a great risk in its own right.  But five dozen or maybe more, all just sitting there in a big sack?  How could you assume they would all survive the journey?  And it appears, they have.  What a lovely, unexpected gesture.  

Free range, farm fresh, I wanted to try some of the eggs. I spied some left overs from the girls morning breakfast run and figured I’d put those in my salad, but my wife had the same idea and she beat me to it.  So I cracked three new ones and whipped them up and thought about just how they might taste any different.  One bite, two bites and I couldn’t taste anything distinct.  I wanted it to be a remarkable oval experience.  



A friend had shared a funny story about Dylan.  Apparently, Zimmy had wanted to do a slapstick comedy movie in the tradition of Jerry Lewis and he and the narrator Larry Charles, visit a producer or a pitch meeting.  The producer was welcoming, but clueless.  The moment he introduced himself, commented that he had original Woodstock tickets.  Dylan, replied, obviously, "I didn't play Woodstock."   And Dylan went and stared out the window for the duration of the meeting and at the end, when everyone agreed that funding such a show would be a great idea, Dylan inexplicably suggested he no longer wanted to do it.  It was funny.  Dylan's as quirky as you'd imagine  And it was sad.  Sad because I admired his power to walk from opportunity.  He doesn’t need to do it if it doesn’t feel right.



Thursday, 2/21/19



No comments:

Post a Comment