Friday, June 7, 2019

Blarney's a Fine Thing





Left to my own, I wouldn’t have chosen to go to the Forbidden City today.  It’s a lovely day.  Not too warm, cool breeze, and no hint of rain.  The visibility was limited, and it was probably a function of smog, but nothing to surprise one who’s used to the city.  It was, Dragon Boat Day.  And this might mean that the site could be mobbed with people trying to enjoy the country’s premier tourist attraction on their day of rest.  I would have certainly preferred to spend the day banging away at emails but two clients whom I was unable to see on their China visit last week, booked their flights back home for Friday night and I’d offered to take them around the sites.

One can’t properly be prejudiced about someone one already knows.  Pre-judging someone you’ve known for years presents an impossible an oxymoron.  Let’s say I post-judge this one client and by now friend, as wonderfully Irish.  It is so uplifting to be with someone gifted with a strong intellect, and an irrepressible desire to play with language.  This person has me laughing aloud at puns and adopted accents and sharpening my own ears for the next chance to insert my own improvisations. 

Our Di Di driver is from Shandong. I like him.  He drops us off heading north on South Chizi Street by the side of the massive complex.  One guest asks the other: “Did you remember your passport?”  “Yes, I did” he replies.  I did not, I realize.  I have a vague recollection of bullshitting my was passed this requirement before and figure I’ll be able to handle it this time.  My bullshit is thwarted at the first gate by a young guy doesn’t want to debate the matter.  But one of my team suggests I speak with the boy-in-blue.  The cop has the authority to let folks in.  I go enter a different line and make my case to the copy who smiles at my explanation in Beijing-brogue.  “Have you got a copy of the passport on you?”  Hadn’t thought of that.  Yeah, I probably do.  It takes a while, but I find a copy in an old email on my phone from when we were in Georgia last summer.




Now we are free to pass beneath the Chairman’s photo and proceed ahead to the Meridian Gate, where we are told by a young lady in a black tee-shirt that the tickets are sold out for the day.  Huh?  Once again, I plead and cajole with a smile until at last, she calls out to “da ge?” I try to be my most charming and earnest to the ‘big brother’, “I’ve lived here for years, I don’t need to go in.  But these folks have come from so far.  Please.  Big brother.  Can you cut me some slack on this one.”  “Alright.  Go over and get tickets and you can enter.”  “Hey da ge, your great.  Thanks!”   We go over and they let us buy tickets where some other hapless backpackers are stuck.  We all agree that blarney’s a fine thing.  It is this ability to banshi in China that forever rejuvenates one’s love for the place.



Oddly the palace isn’t crowded at all and we have a lovely, breezy afternoon to consider the grounds that were once occupied by Yong Le and later Kangxi.  Later we climb Jing Shan to consider what we'd just walked through.



Friday, 6/7/19


No comments:

Post a Comment