Saturday, October 19, 2019

About the Listing Vessel





Behaving like a fiend.  I have been home, settled, with a plate of frozen burritos that are freshly microwaved and I’ve already gone to see if there is updated news about the listing vessel that is our presidency.  This week was to be pummeled between the withdraw from Syria, the testimony of diplomats, the acting Chief of Staff acting rather incriminating, the announcement that he would host the G7 at his own property in Florida.  Like a nineteen act Shakespearean tragedy, Donald seems to keep throwing more and more material on to the fire.  How much further can this tree bend until it snaps? 

I speak to my mother and stepdad about it this morning.  I speak to my neighbor when he comes by to visit later in the day.  My dad and I just talked bird feeders but when we weren’t, we were talking about Trump.  The moment I got home, you bet I checked.  That snap could happen any time.  It won’t be pretty.  But dramatically one senses that it can’t go on much longer.  I know I am likely just reading what I want to read but with every additional Republican suggesting that they can’t abide by this charade of mendacity any longer.  Suffice to say, the crack didn’t transpire in the last three hours since I last checked the news. 

I’m staring out my back window.  The trees look lovely in the distance and there are countless birds darting about in the brush one-hundred-and-fifty-feet out our so.  But unless I put the binoculars on, I can’t tell much about them.  At my mom’s, my stepdad has bird feeders fifteen feet from the window and it looks like a tropical aquarium of species variety and dazzling color combinations.  And so, I want that within eye site as well. 



It would all be rather straightforward, except of course for the squirrels.  Squirrels will outsmart any bird feeder that is simply convenient.  My dad and I stood on the porch today and considered how we might set a squirrel-proof feeder up, so that I could view it a few feet out from the porch, but far enough away so no squirrel could hop over on to it.  We considered lines to trees and swinging pipes that cantilevered out over the porch but i the end we seemed to agree that a pole in the ground, which sported a baffle spanning the rod would likely be the easiest way to meet the requirement. 



He took me over to Agway.  I’d never been to Agway.  They had bird feeders and a host of other Ag-related things.  And we considered our challenge and with the things they had there in Agway.  These would do for hanging feeders from but we need a pole to set into the ground if we’re to make this work.  Agway doesn’t have poles.  My dad’s fearful I’ll run into rock if I bang down more than a foot or so setting this pole.  Tomorrow then.  We’ll need to pick this up tomorrow.  He has an appointment and I’ve got to pick my younger one up from her volleyball game.  Tomorrow we’ll try to find a pole and set it somewhere 



Saturday, 10/19/19

No comments:

Post a Comment