Sunday, October 13, 2019

Scrutinizing the Experience Instead





Wednesday was Yum Kippur.  It isn’t celebrated in Beijing.  Dragon Boat Day isn’t celebrated in Tel Aviv either.  But Yum Kippur is celebrated here in New York and that meant that there would be no bus pick up on Wednesday morning.  My daughter reminded me of this when I went to wake her this morning.  “You need to drive me.  I told you.  No busses.”

She got tunes till the bridge.  It isn’t exactly fair but that’s alright.   I have gotten to the point where I can date the vintage of the BTS songs she is playing.  Their posture on the early cuts, the rhyming style is assertive as if they have something to prove.  “Is this from one of the early albums?”  “Earliest.”  I nod as if I knew that.  I can’t help but think back to my own ferocious music consumption at that age.  And though I had a favorite band, the heroic prototypes bloomed and fell like mayflies when I was sixteen.  I’m amazed that she is still primarily enamored with one group after well over one year.



Driving around in this Highlander it is certainly comfortable.  I could care less, but my wife ordered leather interiors and I’m put off by the way in which holding what feels like a leather trimmed steering wheel somehow makes the driving experience feel refined.  That’s ridiculous.  It’s what I am being made to feel.  And so, I drive around securitizing the experience instead of enjoying it.



They wanted dinner on the table.  They’d be back at 6:00PM.  I needed dinner on the table by that time.  I had a call at 5:30PM and then a call at 7:00PM followed by one at 8:00PM and 8:30PM and 10:00PM.  I cut up some eggplant.  Doused it in olive oil, spread it all up and down with pesto and put a blop of ricotta on the top. Baked those.  Made some thin linguini that cooked quicker than I thought it would.  Three different bottles of porcini peppers are there in the refrigerator and I take one and add a few to a small bowl.   That’ll do for dinner.  It’s on the table thirty minutes early.  I’ve got to go and speak with Sao Paulo and Shenzhen.



Wednesday 10/09/11

No comments:

Post a Comment