Monday, October 26, 2020

Around Him to See

 





Cold this morning.  You could look down and see the grass where I hadn’t cut it was frosted over.  The weather report confirmed as much.  “frost warning.”  The sky has a thin cloud cover that can’t quite remove the hope of blue.  And for hours now big fluffy cumulous clouds soar along like a great armada.  I throw the seed on the lawn down below my window.  Grackles and squirrels and mourning doves as usual.  Two blue jays just fought each other, squaring off, squaring up in flight intent on deciding who gets to decide. 



Jim Hall all morning.  Was looking for sessions where he was a sideman.  There are probably well over one hundred such recordings, in addition to his own. He must have been recording something every month of his life for decades.  Just now is a session with John Lewis, the pianist from the MJQ.  Hall’s solo on Body and Soul immediately brings to mind his session with Sonny Rollins on “The Bridge.  Before this I listened to the four albums he recorded with Bill Evans, one after the other “Interplay,” “Loose Blues,” “Undercurrent,” and “Intermodulation.”  I suspect I’ll be poking around in here for a while.

 

And with this blog I have caught myself back up with myself.   I’d let a whole week slip by from the last properly complete entry the previous Saturday.   Friday was to have been the day.  Yesterday, early, before everyone was up, was plan B.  None of these were successful and I knew from experience that I’d be moody all week if yet another series of days slipped by without their memorialization.  Done then, save for the next paragraph and the publishing of all these accounts. 



It’s been quite a long time since I’ve seen the fox out there.  A lone squirrel is down on the lawn rooting up all the seed I’ve thrown down there this morning.  He’s go to eat all he can.  He’s well aware that the seasons are changing swiftly. And he eats with such care.  Never searching or more than a few second before he stops, and looks around him to see if the coast is clear.  I wonder if the fox moved on or simply expired.   My yard seems suspiciously safe, for now. 




Sunday, 10/18/20

No comments:

Post a Comment