Tuesday, October 27, 2020

To Other Electric-Jurisdictions



It’s too cold to sit outside. The porch has an amazing view that is tempting.  We’re having a guest, and it is the proper place to sit, if you can.  But it’s hard to imagine it being comfortable as the sun makes its way down behind the hills.  In the garage I noticed an outdoor patio heater that my wife used to use in her studio in China.  The plug is a three pronged angular Chinese style that won’t fit the outdoor outlets.  I search the house and even though we should have many such physical adaptors, I can’t find any in our home or down with the stored items. 



Lowes should have it.  They seem to online.  I head over and grab some of my bird seed first and then ask a young man who tentatively suggests aisle eleven.  There are over a hundred ways to switch the outlet from one sort of American plug to another.  But there doesn’t seem to be any way to accommodate international prongs.  I asked another young man, who led me to an older man, and he confirmed, “I’m gonna say no.  I’ve been here a long time.  I don’t think we have that.”  It would appear there isn’t a great demand from people coming and going to other electric-jurisdictions in these parts. 

 

I took one last look back in aisle eleven.  I looked over the power strips as well to see if any had accommodating receptacles that might allow for the plug I have.  It’s all strictly American plugs, for American folks.  And with that I push my bird seed and box of woodpecker suet over to the self-serve check out area.  There is no way we’re going to be using that patio heater this evening. 


 

I move the heater off the porch and into the garage and then sweep all the leaves off the deck when I arrive back home.  My wife clears the path of leaves out front on the walkway between our front door and the driveway.  We never use the front door, but my wife wants the guests to enter that way. There, beneath the large, Southern Red Oak in the front yard, the ground is carpeted in big brown leaves.  We discussed getting a leaf blower but looking up at the thousands of leaves that have yet to fall we agreed it would just be a wasted effort.

 

Later, when the voices call out, that the guests have arrived, I head out to join everyone on the back porch.  My younger one and her friend head upstairs and we enjoy the view and a drink and then move inside for dinner.

 

 

 

Sunday, 10/25/20 

No comments:

Post a Comment