Sunday, October 25, 2020

Assume A Granite Throne

 



Reveling yesterday in a walk up to the top of the Trapps cliff face.  I’d been up here once, when I was seventeen or so but have no proper recollection.   At that time I certainly might have noticed but wouldn’t have paid much attention to the foliage.  Having been up here a few times in recent weeks, I’ve become attuned to how the tree cover shifts.  There are many trees that proliferate up here that don’t show up much down in the valley.  In particular the chestnut oaks with their long saw tooth leaves, the big floppy, bear oak and the supersized leaves of the stripped maple.  They are everywhere up here and I’ve a mind to replant a sapling down at our house.


 

Remembered, where I usually do not, to bring the pair of binoculars I have on my desk and which I generally use to look up this way.   Unsurprisingly I cannot see our house.  I can’t see these cliffs either behind the big maple trees that are standing in the way down toward the trail. I can spot the tall dorms of the university and the compound where my dad lives is clear to the both of us.  But I can barely trace the road out of town.  Where is that large field with the cows just up the trail?  I had thought I would be better at this having spent this last year in the area.

 

My dad asks me to go ahead.  I do.  He doesn’t want to feel pressure from behind.  I’m fine to head on up the steep rock shelf.  But of course, I worry as well.  What if he should slip and fall?  Brave, he needs to take his time on the slanted shelf, covered in white pine needles.  Afford him the dignity he requests, I decide and make my way on to the next remarkable bluff, where I assume a granite throne and consider all below, once again. 


 

We walked along the ledge for a while.  My dad knew the way, but he became increasingly agitated.  Where is that turn?  It’s off to the right up here?  Could we have passed it?  I have a call coming up on the hour.  There will be no reception here.  “When do you suppose we’ll be back to the parking lot.”  Looks like and indeed I do in fact, get to the parking lot just as the call is starting.  Fortunately, I’ve warned everyone that I’ll need an additional five minutes.  I drive down to the scenic overlook where there has to be good reception and do my best to kick off this conf call way up above the Hudson Valley.

 

 

 

Friday, 10/09/20

 

No comments:

Post a Comment