Saturday, June 14, 2014

A Plot Exposed




Father’s day, down in Shanghai.  I’ll have to give my hold man a ring when I cut off this evening, late, around 9:15PM.  His father’s day will be dawning back in New York.  My girls will likely be checking in with me before long.  Where do you draw the line on Hallmark holidays?  The promotion of “Grandparents Day” always seemed a bit forced, though perhaps I’ll feel different when my kids have offspring.  China celebrates “Children’s Day”, which is as reasonable a holiday as any, I suppose.  But I didn’t grow up with it and so I tend to ‘pooh pooh’ it whenever it comes around over here.  I always hear my mother’s retort in my ears.  When we were kids, growing up in suburban New York and would ask “why isn’t there kids day?”  She’d reply, “every day is kid’s day.”



Finished up Tacitus’ Annals the day before last, flying up from Guangzhou.  Now I understand about the fire that consumed Rome, during Nero’s rule.  Reading the first part of the Annals where the focus is on Tiberius, I, for one, can’t not think of the BBC’s 1976 televised rendition of “I Claudius” and the hapless, doomed-to-rule, Tiberius played by George Baker.   Tacitus doesn’t seem to bother much with the horor of Caligula though it may be that the writing was simply lost.  Rather the last four books concentrate on Nero.  And though there is a brief appearance in the BBC production by Christopher Biggins as the L'enfant terrible he follows Claudius rule and so, the story of his rule is not covered and my mind is freer to imagine this as I please. 

What a mess.  Assassination is a rough business.  The death of Caesar was all carried off fairly effectively by a limited number of plotters.  In Book 15 after a long cataloging a litany of Nero’s outrages, the senators, begin to plot, en masse, to dispose of Nero and promote Gaius Piso.  The fault, it seems is that the conspiracy grew so large and had so many people implicated that the temptation for Milichus, the knife-sharpener to surmise the plot and turn the plotters in for a reward.  Even if the conspirators intentions are worthy, to rid the weary of Empire of a delusional ruler, once murder is on the table, even if it isn’t 谋财害命[1] our most base instincts it seems are set free.  Former niceties, decorum, inhibitions and fears are all cast aside.



Once Milichus spills the beans and the plot is uncovered the rest of this Book and the next are an unerring blood letting that implicates the guilty and the innocent, including, famously Nero’s teacher, the dramatist and philosopher Seneca the Younger who is ordered by Nero to kill himself. 

I’m not much of a soccer fan, though I did notice that Spain, England and Uruguay are suffering while the Netherlands, Italy and Costa Rica are smiling . . . but my friend’s list of Brazilian funk for me to investigate continues to cast a sunny Brazilian glow to my Shanghai sojourn.  This morning I’ve got the silver sounds of Sandalia de Prata with their juicy contemporary samba. The album” Samba Pesado” is from 2006, though if I had just heard this somewhere, I’d have placed it much earlier.  The Wiki page for them is in Portuguese and perhaps there is something askew with the translation, but what it suggests is they “appeared” one day in a neighborhood in Sao Paulo and began playing.  I will choose to imagine them this way, spontaneously materializing there like an extraterrestrial landing.
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sand%C3%A1lia_de_Prata  There are some nice photos of the group on their own, official site. http://www.sandaliadeprata.com.br/10anos/





[1] móucáihàimìng: to plot and kill sb for his property (idiom); to murder for money

No comments:

Post a Comment