Tuesday, June 3, 2014

The Center of It All




Driving over the Brooklyn Bridge.  Wonderful feeling.  No matter where you live for how long, home is home.   The way the concrete looks, the Caribbean-speed Spanish on the gypsy cab radio, the color of the street signs, ineffable familiarity here, there with every turn.  

This morning I heard a sound.  It wasn’t a North American blue jay's caw nor the sound of an ambulance, but it was an undeniable New York City sound.  My sister lives in Brooklyn right below the Smith and 9th St. stop for the F & G Trains, which run overhead, all night long.  But this morning around 5:00AM I heard a much slower, heavier sound.  A train designed for track maintenance, I presume, slowly lumbered along.  And 30 years ago when you were down in the subway at 4:00AM having seen music all night, reluctantly making your way back up to Grand Central to catch the first train home these same cars would crawl by, disappointing you.  I didn’t see the train this morning, but I heard it and I felt it.  Whatever its purpose it wasn’t to take passengers around:



Arriving in Manhattan now.  Thinking about a book I have in my bathroom at home from around 1914 or so that captures the city in photography.  As I recall it was my sister who found it somewhere in the Czech Republic.  Many of those buildings are still here, like the city government building to the right.  I wish I liked this new Freedom Tower but it looks as bad as it sounds.  That’s OK.  There are plenty of other buildings to look at. 

Coming from a brief overnight in Los Angeles.  There is, simply no comparison to be made.  One is a commanding, vast suburban sprawl.  The other a city.  I was fascinated there in Venice beach by a lonesome brick building that may have been from the twenties.  And there, over there, is another building worth considering.  There is another part of town with a number of buildings worth considering.  How can we talk about that in the same breath as what’s laid out before me this morning. 离乡背井[1] you learn discernment.

Now we’re on the FDR heading north under the Manhattan Bridge.  Up ahead my old friend the Williamsburg Bridge.  I lived right beside it on Pitt St. for six years or so.  And I’d come out running to the East River Park over here on my right now.   Even if it’s just a first-day’s flash, even if it’s a mirage that doesn’t really exit, even if the Manhattan I knew isn’t here anymore and all the artists have moved elsewhere and the music venues don’t exist and the only people who can afford to move in are those parking ill-gotten-gains . . . Even if the Freedom Tower looks insipid, and sounds even worse, I do not care this morning. This is the best city and it still feels like the center of it all to me.  



Now I’m not sure what any of the thousands of people I knew here, are up to today.  All the students I taught, all the colleagues I worked with, and the friends and friends of friends who were all part of that familiar fabric that’s now down to the threads of pure, immediate family.  They’re were pre email, and pre social media, pre ubiquity and so, instead, I just imagine a vague, latent familiarity. 

One man who, according to Wiki is still alive, is someone I had the pleasure of meeting with a few times here in Manhattan.  I suppose if I were allowing for some poetic license, I could say we were colleagues for a bit there, me and Junior Mance.  He was the featured pianist on the Terrace at the Village Gate back in 1989 and I was a waiter for a summer there at the Gate with a friend who waited there for quite a bit longer.   And I recall Junior Mance saying that practiced for hours and hours a day to be able to continue playing at the level he expected of himself. 

Always stately as he is now, on this 1964 track, "Diane" from the album “Straight Ahead,” I can remember how his commanding playing would counter balance his quiet, friendly, demeanor.  I’ve thought, as years went on of all the countless things I could have asked him.  What was it like to work with Bird, Diz, Satchmo and a dozen other luminaries I’ve featured on this page?  He was Dinah’s pianist for years.  There had to be a folder full of "the best Dinah Washington” stories alone to meander through, learning about the tradition, from someone who helped write it. 

I looked and he doesn’t appear to be playing this evening, but more importantly he will be playing next month in Bryant Park.  Which means at 85 years of age or so Junior Mance is still playing jazz piano, and presumably still practicing every day.   Driving up the FDR Drive, approaching the 59th Street Bridge, I offer a salute to you then Mr. Mance.   Keep playing hard, as long as you can.






[1] líxiāngbèijǐng:  to live far from home (idiom) / away from one's native place / to leave for a foreign land

No comments:

Post a Comment