Saturday, June 21, 2014

Just About Right




Work is something I leave off this space.  There’s enough to the rest of life that merits reckoning with.  Discretion, in my mind, is the better part of work.  I finished a phase of a project tonight that was taxing and well outside my comfort zone and it is good to sit back now and exhale and consider the arc of the engagement.  There are a few days left to go but I’ve made it through the part that seemed most challenging to me and it feels very good to be on this side of it,  有始有终[1].

And walking home, once again tonight I needed something different to eat.   The thrill’s gone on my local Shanghainese-Sichuanese place.  It’s raining out there and though I’ve an umbrella, I am most definitely not inclined to walk along the wet neon streets around my residence looking for that rare, authentic, family–style restaurant of my memory palace that is out there, just beyond the next block. I’ve had too many notable misses to-date.  I never drink beer at home.  I’ve had a beer or two every night in one of these places and it feels like it.  Tonight I wanted to have different tastes.  Tonight I wanted a glass of wine. 



Mind you, I am still laden with a mountain of must-do’s.  But they don't pull at the fabric of my comfort zone.  So I do not have time to go find the hippest fusion restaurant Shanghai has to offer and insist that I already had a reservation with them under the name "Wu."  I don’t really need to see nor be seen this Saturday evening.  I know I need to write this, in my on going series of de contemptu omnium de mensa: Live from the next restaurant.   And I’ve made my way to a chain hotel Italian restaurant with overpriced, undercooked food that I would never otherwise think to patronize.  And sitting here, with the atmosphere kept at bay by the samba in my big fat headphones, it’s just about right.

Celestial bossa nova swinging about my ears complete with what sounds like it must be a bass clarinet or a bassoon or something wooden and deep.  The song: “Nana” by Nara Leao from the 1964 album “Nara.”  It’s a short piece at 2:04 with a simple, pared down arrangement of an approachable, knowing melody.  And her voice even though she doesn’t utter one word, is utterly convincing.  Like I suggested about Elliot Smith a few entries back, and he’s in my mind because he accompanied me on the rainy walk over here, when she sings this easy melody, I unquestioningly believe her.  I’ve played it about six times in a row now.  It’s my newfound love and it’s over well before it should be, each and every time.   



She was known as the “muse of bossa nova” and I never knew her.  Like so many of the other Brazilian musical luminaries of that time she left her home country during the military dictatorship after developing an ever-greater political consciousness within her work.  (Would that I could tell whether or not it is evidenced on this disc I’m currently enjoying.) She settled in Paris in 1970 and shortly thereafter renounced her musical career and turned to concentrate on parenting.   Reading further it hits dull, like it does when one reads about jazz luminaries, nearly one and all, that they and she had died, mid-life, during a tangible moment of your own consciousness, in this case:  June 7, 1989. 

This was three days after students were massacred in Tiananmen Square.  I can remember reading the newspaper, sitting on the front stoop of the place, which was at the time was my mother’s house.  June 5th, 1989, sitting there with the New York Times, shaking my head trying to grapple with all that amorphous hope for a strange people I knew nothing about other than that they were young and boldly confronting authority which was what young people anywhere should be doing, and I’d done and which had been building and building into something interesting and was certainly inevitably veering towards triumph after all that had happened in the former Soviet Union.  Ignorant, we all knew how the movie would end until that morning when they were all mowed off Square.  And suddenly it didn’t make sense at all.  What a strange impenetrable place China seemed at that time.

I would have been waiting tables at the Village Gate fairly soon thereafter and preparing to begin a stint as a teacher and I would be living in New York City in my own place for the first time.  And I would have been in a Tribeca apartment that still smelled of the Cinnamon it used to warehouse and I’d have been brushing my young teeth so vigorously that I’d slip and hurt myself every so often because everything was so fresh and energized and now, now.  I know that wet soil, after the spring rain atmospherics with everything just about to sprout.  I wouldn’t have known a thing about bossa nova at the time though I’d have enjoyed this then . . . two days before Ms. Nara Leao died of an inoperable brain tumor.





[1] yǒushǐyǒuzhōng:  where there's a start, there's a finish (idiom); to finish once one starts sth / to carry things through / I started, so I'll finish.

No comments:

Post a Comment