Thursday, June 5, 2014

The Ride In from Hackensack




Flying on today, out to San Francisco.  This direction you get the bonus hours added to your day, so that you leave at noon on a five-hour flight and get there at 1:00PM.  I remember the last time I rode out to Kennedy we went out along Eastern Parkway through Brownsville where I used to teach twenty-five years ago.  We had a day care center in the high school as there were so many students who were also parents.  And all those little children now twenty-five year olds.  Remarkable. 

Yesterday I needed to take a train back into the city, from Hackensack, NJ.  It was my first time in Hackensack.  I was in a glass tower, across from two malls.  The train station was mercifully close to the office and when I got there I looked for the station to buy a ticket.  There is no station building and certainly no one selling tickets anywhere.  Instead, a machine. 

Next train will be arriving in about thirty-minutes.  A bit longer than I hoped but according to the schedule I could do worse.  My default for commuter rail is what I know about the other side of the Hudson from here in Westchester.  Though I was born and lived for about six months in a town not far from here all my conscious memories and certainly all my conscious railroad memories are from across on the New York side.  There, within an hour of the City the trains should run every hour and further out from there, every hour.  But suburban New Jersey does not appear to be served so well.



The machine was easy enough to use.  I got my ticket and pondered the one track before me.  I could guess which direction New York was, but I wasn’t sure.  This lady will know.  Friendly, she confirmed that the train would be there soon.  Within a moment I’d clarified that, in fact, I was from here, sort of, and knew a thing or two about Westchester trains but nothing about New Jersey Transit.  Listening, I confirmed that locals don’t think much of the regularity of service either. 

And, in spite of my aching tiredness and my imposing headphones and the abundance of free seats, this lovely older woman and I struck up a conversation.  Soon we were 谈古论今[1] She was retired.  She’d worked her whole life at RCA, in Rockefeller Center.  RCA owned NBC, where she’d migrated to internally.  And then, it was bough by GE.  She talked about Neutron Jack Welsh and how he cut staff mercilessly but drove the share price higher and higher and that commuters' New York of my parents generation and the days of working for one company your whole life long filled out before me.

Marge was this woman’s name.  I told her about China, and what its like to raise a family in Beijing.  And she was interested and informed which was refreshing.  She mentioned that she and husband were Members of the Asia Society, which I was thrilled to hear.  Later she mentioned she was a member of the Korea Society as well, which just about left me gob smacked. 

I’d have probably gotten lost changing trains in Secaucus, without Marge’s help.  A new station I learned.  We chatted amicably, each considering the bits we were assembling about the other’s life.   Still fresh within my homeland reentry mind, this retired commuter’s tale was fresh and memorable.  And we’d have probably gone on for a bit till we arrived at Penn Station where we went our separate ways. 

Now, Penn Station is a blight.  I believe it must slowly, dismally affect all the people from New Jersey and Long Island who use it, every day.  Obviously once upon a time there was an ennobling national landmark here.  Now there is a dirty, low ceilinged, dark series of tunnels that call out to no one to aspire to anything other than their train.  And all the people who travel in every day from Westchester and Connecticut get to pass through Grand Central.   This process, times a million souls a day, must harden mindsets, stereotypes, aspirations.  I walked across to Eighth Avenue and caught the A Train down to West Fourth to change for the F.



Up above, the other night at the Vanguard I’d mentioned that Mark Turner was the tenor player and the composer of a number of the tunes.  I have him on the earphones now.  An album called Dharma Days from 2001 has arrived at a spacious, wispy tune called “Casa Oscurra.”  I don’t think Mark smiled once the other night, but he features a big Colgate quality set of upper front teeth on this album’s cover.  Ohio born, a year or so older than me, sounds like he grew up in California and his main influence is apparently Wayne Marsh whom I don’t know well, but will find out more about now.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mark_Turner_(musician)

It’s raining outside.  It will make for an atmospheric ride through Crown Heights, Brownsville and East New York, on my way to JFK in an hour or so.    





[1] tángǔlùnjīn:  to talk of the past and discuss the present (idiom) / to chat freely / to discuss everything

No comments:

Post a Comment