Monday, June 2, 2014

Up Above Venice




Flying up over the dust this morning.  Was out on the brine’s side yesterday, the far side of the Pacific, walking long Venice Beach.  Now, I’m 35,000 feet above what looks like it should be called “death valley.”  Miles of dry, pale xanthous soil in every direction.  Occasional patches of green in unnatural square blocks that must be drawing blue water from some place other than where they’ve been lain. 

I just galloped through Tiberius life in Tacitus “Annals.”  What a star-crossed figure he was:  stepson of Augustus, with the toughest mom in town, who fends off myriad challenges more legitimate heirs and ultimately his much more popular brother, Germanicus to become, the man to rule after Augustus.  And he’s prudent and sagacious for a while, but always overshadowed by someone and eventually he descends into pure treachery, unabashed, 背信弃义[1] How remarkable these accounts must have been for the late medieval Europeans to consider, imagining classical Rome when so much of Rome’s achievement were unobtainable.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Annals_(Tacitus)

Today, when we read about how power was transferred in Rome, I for one, note that our own representative democracy, flaws and all, is more predictable and less capricious as it concerns say, the transfer power.  When Chinese read comparable works, the Romance of the Three Kingdoms is set roughly two hundred years later than the reign of Tiberius, I think they see great modern resonance in the way in which power is transferred, because it is, achievements not withstanding, capricious and arbitrary.  It is accurate to claim that this sort of authoritarian power transference somehow speaks to Chinese characteristics, but wrong to say this is therefore China’s fate.

Yesterday, I was on a hotel, rooftop bar over Venice Beach, staring out at the long plane that is formed in L.A. You can stare down the coast towards the industrial smoke stacks of what I presume, eventually is Long Beach, and turning look up to Santa Monica and towards the Hollywood Hills and beyond and turning see higher mountains to the east, which I associate with Pasadena.  A mist that looked like mist and not smog was settled over the valley but it was clear that not unlike Beijing, with mountains on three sides this would do a great job of capturing pollution, all this surf and sun notwithstanding. 




I was told that a table for two on this lovely perch would be about a half hour wait by someone who had no intention of ever seating me.  Feel free to go stand by the bar.  This was still my first few hours in country and there is that magical initial period where America is exotic.  There are such a myriad of faces, gene types, derivations. You don’t know anyone but you already know who everyone is.  Their everyday American utterances seem remarkable and worthy of attention and the assignation of significance. 

I went to the bar and ordered a double gin and tonic and got a twenty out of my wallet in anticipation.  “That’ll be $22.00,” says the young man who has done nothing whatsoever to merit any tipping, but nonetheless, sends me digging back in that wallet again for more funds.  It seems unfathomably expensive, but maybe I’ve just been out of the country too long.  My friend joins me and reminds me that you can spend that money on drinks in Beijing too.  And he’s right.  But nothing hurts like spending dollars.

The music in this venue is loud, steady thumping, with hooks that don’t manage to catch me in the slightest.  There is a young, entitled crowd, who are talking loudly.  Now someone has fallen over and another man is yelling self-effacing commentary as he helps the other person up.  The ‘you have arrived in Los Angeles’ view is marvelous as is the sea air, the ubiquitous California sun, but its not quite enough to make up for the otherwise thoroughly compromised atmosphere and we head out.   

“Is there a nice place to have a drink and watch the world go by?”  My friend smiled.  My friend sighed.  Clearly it wasn’t going to be as easy as I imagined.  We strolled looking for a place amidst the plebian street circus along Venice Beach.  For some reason I was reminded of walking along the Placa in Athens, down below the Acropolis.  It was a strong, uncanny sensation:  a long row of restaurants with abundant pedestrian traffic that extended out to a beach on the one and over a railroad track on the other.   Incomparable for all practical purposes, but the invocation hums on, regardless.

“Let’s just grab a table in here.”  Once again, the doorman informs me there will be a wait for a table, of which there appear to be many, but this time it is only five minutes or so.  It’s good to be able to talk.  I grab steak taco and another drink, but it’s just a beach side joint and neither is very good.  And once again the music is very loud, assertive, lacking in any distinction, this time as sort post-bad-rock, rock.  The crowd inside, the crowd passing outside is fascinating in a rough, well-tattooed, everyman sort of way.  Across the main thoroughfare and older lady is playing confrontational abstract expressionist sounds on an acoustic piano.  A few people have stopped to watch.  I’m glad I was able to see some live music on this viist.  A young man on a skateboard falls, and blames it on the dog tethered to the next table up from me.  “They got, dogs and shit.”

  


I’m not adjusted yet so I actually do unadvisable things like listen to the music in the places I am visiting.  I think of the aural pollution of modern China, loud crackling speaker voices, spitting sounds, construction, Kenny G., they are all naturally offloaded from immediate recall when I’m back there in Beijing.  They are “normal” and will not be stored.  With a day or two, I’ll revert to my default American pre-sets for ease of navigation through our country.  I’ll stop paying attention to everything. 

Later that night we’re back at my friend’s place with his two remarkable boys.  The younger lad, aged twelve, played a beautiful song from a band I hadn’t heard before.  “Thirteen” is a disarmingly innocent song that eerily and successfully captures something about what actually was like to be thirteen in suburban New York.  Or at least I’ve allowed it to.  I know the song as an Elliot Smith number and adore his version.  But it means something different knowing it was first written by Big Star, in 1972.  I like the Elliot Smith version better.  But I’ll never listen to it the same again. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Star_(band)

Later my young friend said he was listening to a lot of The Clash.  I saw The Clash for the first time when I was thirteen and I never listened to anything to same way again after.  We searched and found a scene from the movie Rude Boy that he hadn’t seen before.  This musical sharing went on for some time and this was certainly the best part of being in Los Angeles, logging in time with a best friends family, whom I’ve too infrequently been able to watch grow and mature.







[1] bèixìnqìyì breaking faith and abandoning right (idiom); to betray / treachery / perfidy

No comments:

Post a Comment