Saturday, June 7, 2014

The Quick Ride to SFO




Riding out 101 to SFO this morning from a Martha Brother’s coffee shop on 24th and Vicksburg.  Coffee with friends.  Cab courtesy of Uber and the app on my friend’s iPhone.  The sun always, so incredibly strong here, cutting in to the morning with its relentless optimism.  Wall murals, thirsty eucalyptus trees, hills with rows of houses and off to the left the remarkable, tidal Bay itself defining this area, that has attracted so much of the world’s talent and defies the simple assignation “civic.”  Think of all the water that is drawn in every day, beneath the Golden Gate and later flushed powerfully, out to sea once again, like an enormous bladder.

Sitting out in a friend’s back yard in Protrero Hill yesterday, with one more remarkable, distinct view down to the mighty water body.  The familiar steep walks that are the same in Bernal Heights or Diamond Heights or Protrero Hill, absurd with a large piece of luggage.  Parking precipitously, work that hand- break and cut the wheel into the hill. Unique aspects to any San Francisco life.   And as I try to pen this off with a the ride out it another distinction becomes clear, the airport is so close.  What a different ride this is out to SFO when compared to the meditative heaviness of the dash out Eastern Parkway from downtown Brooklyn through the Brownsville of my twenty-year-old mind, en route to JFK. 



Soaring above Alaska now, I suppose.  There’s state, a world, properly, that I have never seen.  Isn’t it supposed to be one of those remarkable things that everyone should do: to sail up the coast of Canada to Alaska and consider what “unspoiled” means.   I usually get drawn to places on account of human achievement.  But given the rather paltry range of life forms extant there in contemporary Beijing, perhaps a “nature tour” is rather important to consider.

Bill Evans “Re: Person I Knew” from “The Bill Evans Album” is on.  I’m assuming I know the bass player, who also used to play with Ornette. His finger work is punchy and commanding in my ears. I can’t place his name. I want to say it’s David.  David who?  I just took the time to look up the David’s on my iPod.  None leapt out.  I don’t have any other off-line research tools at my disposal, do I?  don’t think I’m going to drop money on this flight to secure wifi, though I could and then, I could immediately verify this “David” vacuum in my mind.  I can see this mystery gent in my mind.  He’s got glasses on.  He’s white, and a bit overweight.  I remember seeing a clip of mystery-bass-player talking about playing with Orentette for the first time in New York.  On opening night, Mingus and half a dozen other jazz luminaries were sporting scowls, there in the audience there to check him and the others out.  Still, I’m search for his name.

(The name, with the convenience of an internet connection, is Charlie Haden.  But the person playing bass on “The Bill Evans Album” is actually Eddie Gomez, whom I’ll have to learn more about)

I just went through an entire New York Times newspaper on the first hour of flight this morning..  The United lounge in SFO was giving them away for free.  There is no question that I, for one, engage a physical newspaper differently from the way I’d engage a an-online interface.  The physical paper commands my attention.  I read everything.  On-line I cruise right by things that are not of pressing, immediate interest.

I read four stories editorials about the landing at Normandy as this is the anniversary, including the one that was arguably the most interesting, written by a former German soldier.  If I saw that article in the online interface there is very little chance I’d ever have bothered to read it.  When you get to the physical section of the paper, where the editorials are presented, it commands your attention to stop and engage, look at the illustration, in a ritualized manner.  You can almost hear a pedantic voice from somewhere beyond saying, this page is always important to engage with. “You always should read the editorials, John”. http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/06/opinion/memories-from-normandy.html

Sat in a car last night at the edge of a road somewhere, near a port facility, where no one was going by and played music really, really loud with a friend in his car.  Not a soul around and it was a perfect setting for tunes as 振聋发聩[1].  Dead Kennedy’s, Cream, Hendrix, Fela, Monahan Street Band, Howard McGhee, Orchetre Parakou, Bill Hardman.  Your turn.  My turn.  Your turn and on and on for a bleeding out of all the music that we’d each had ringing in our heads since the last time we hung out, a few month’s back.  Nearly complete mapping overlay on musical fascinations, so that wherever this person goes in the realm of music will be weighty.  Anywhere I drive the experiential onslaught will be similarly well received.  Together we’ve informed each other’s musical maturation for just about thirty years.  Most salient reference points are all held in common. 



With a glance up to the countless television sets up before me, it becomes obvious that I am not, in fact over Alaska.  It looks like I’m about fifty miles out to sea over the coast.  Does that count?  If I was on a boat, down below and the sea wasn’t choppy  would I be looking at Killer Whales feed, below snow capped peaks, or just see rough sea down there from which you can’t consider a bit of land.  Sea that is too far out to be contextualized as ‘coastal Alaskan. ‘ The cruise I imagine in my mind is all about coastal visuals.   

62% of battery life remaining.  Off to read things I need to read that are stored on this computer with just about half its battery life remaining and a good eight hours of flying left to fly. 




[1] zhènlóngfākuì:  lit. so loud that even the deaf can hear (idiom); rousing even the apathetic

1 comment: