Saturday, April 8, 2017

Pass Wing Sing Lane




Walking along Shanghai Road from the Tin Hau temple towards Mong Kok Station it isn’t hard to believe that this part of Hong Kong is in fact the world’s most densely populated location.  It isn’t simply the thick urban landscape that sprouts building on top of building.  It’s the knowledge that space in these buildings has been subdivided into the tightest of possible flats that can sport a family or a couple or an individual. 

This is on my mind as I have stepped this morning out from just such a building.  I’m usually over at a hotel when I stay in Hong Kong.  Space at the Kowloon Sheraton is tight as well.  But this time a colleague secured us all an Airbnb at a place were we’re told five might sleep.  I couldn’t have told you where Temple Street was yesterday.  Now I know that hosts a night market, a mahjong hall and of course, a Temple.



The place we got could sleep five in the same way a Chinese university dormitory in 1993 or my neighbors studio on Pitt St. might have slept six.  We had a three “bed” rooms and a pull out “bed” in the “living” room. I’m not much for measuring square meters or square feet at a glance but the entire apartment was the size of one normal room in a home, subdivided to allow for five six discrete spaces, inclusive of a standing “bath” room and a kitchen.  It wasn’t well decorated or cared for and it cost more than hotel for two, so I don’t think we’ll be returning to this pad again.  The most galling thing was that in their verbiage they claimed that in order to do their part for the environment they did not provide towels.   How thoughtful. 



Pass Wing Sing Lane walking up along Shanghai Road. I am convinced that I am heading towards the harbor and my two colleagues are talking animatedly.  I drop back and pull out my camera because it feels like I’m in a Hong Kong I never see any more, with sixties-era utilitarian concrete buildings that would have looked new once.  They remind of a lost New York.  This walk is the best thing about the apartment. 



Thursday, 4/06/17


No comments:

Post a Comment