Sunday, November 19, 2017

Green and Dreadful





My first day for many a day without someone here in China to tend to.  That person, who is a lovely person, just flew out this morning.  Got the note.  He’d gotten a car and made his way out to the airport by himself.  Now he was now sitting on his early morning flight, just like we’d discussed. 

I can work at my desk all day now and consider one by one, the things that pile into my to-do list.  There’s a big call tomorrow.  I need to have something prepared for it by today.  I review the last week’s inbox and keep adding new things to my list.  The day had seemed like a tremendous clean slate at the outset but hours in, I haven’t gotten much of anything done.



Lunch. I stop.  Lunch. I bring my novel, from the bathroom.  I consider someone else’s problems for a while.  Will Philip Carey ever leave Mildred alone?  I can’t remember dreading the return of a character this strongly in a long time.  We know she’ll return.  It seems Bettie Davis played her in the 1934 movie, which must be interesting, as she’s actually beautiful.  In the novel “Of Human Bondage” Mildred’s always green and dreadful. 



And after the big bowl of tuna salad is eaten, I need to go to school to see my daughter’s teacher.  We’d booked this a few weeks back.  I text him to confirm.  I wonder if he still remembers.  Faintly hoping he might say he had overlooked things I immediately feel the vibration and check the phone.  He’s expecting me.




Tuesday, 10_17_17


No comments:

Post a Comment