Sunday, November 19, 2017

The Tower is Still Ominous





My guest is on the fence.  It’s the end of the day.  He’s tired.  How many meetings did we do?  I’ve got a reservation at a place that I suspect he will really enjoy.  I push a bit.  And it’s enough.  He’s willing to go.  “Driver, take us to Jiaodaokou. 

In the last year of the last millennium I used to say that all the time.  I lived in a small hutong not far from there.  And it was lovely then and as it always seems to have been when one looks backward in China, it was all about to happen.  And what was a lack at that time is now a precious glimpse at something long gone. 




I take my friend through the alley way off  from the drum tower into Houhai.  I think of the time I walked through here for the second time in my life, in 1994 and how remarkable I thought it was that I’d managed to remember the way to this fascinating lake that had a seemingly famous restaurant that one could visit, instead of three hundred to choose from. 

And the view back from the lake to the drum tower is still commanding.  The tower is still ominous.  The neighborhood with all its trees and two story immediacy is still distinct and worth schlepping someone all the way in to see.  The restaurant isn’t far but I keep guessing incorrectly precisely which hutong it in and I notice how little I recognize much of any place, any more.  Everything has changed three or four times by now. 



It’s just cold enough that everyone else is inside but warm enough that we can choose to dine outside comfortably.  It keeps the conversation sharp and urgent. 



Monday, 10/16/17


No comments:

Post a Comment