Saturday, February 17, 2018

I Suggest Abruptly





It aint what it used to be.  What is?  The Chinese New Year celebrations I was fortunate enough to have seen there in my wife’s home town fifteen years agao, were certainly only facsimiles of what the generations of Zhang’s there in town had grown up with in the Shandong of the Cultural Revolution, or the Great Leap Forward, or the Japanese occupation, or the Boxer Rebellion. But what missionaries and war, and scarcity and ideology couldn’t kill, prosperity may have succeeded in finishing off. 

Last year we were in Beijing.  I suggested we all head out to Shandong to join the family.  But my younger brother in law and opted to take the immediate family down to China’s Hawaii for a beachfront holiday in Hainan.  I thought of all the toothless old men in the ancestral village who pointed to the hand drawn genealogy charts on the wall of the daub and wattle homes we visited on Chu Er, for the chao-men ritual saying, “one old grandfather!  we all descend from one old grandfather!” as we toasted and they proudly directed my gaze to the chart.  Wouldn’t they all be lonely this year?  No one to knock on their door for the second day of the celebration.




Today, this year, we’re in an enormous overbuilt hotel, on the border of Hebei and Shandong.  Once again, my younger brother-in-law has arranged a special deal.  We’ll all meet there and everything is on the house.  I have strong opinions about Thanksgiving and Christmas but for Lunar New Year, it’s not my place to say much of anything to anyone but you, my dear reader.  So, my daughter’s and I, we’re along for the ride, reinterpreting the tradition along with everyone else.

They’ve done a nice job with the place, I suppose. There’s a big lake that’s nearly frozen over.  There is some pleasant landscaping that is probably high-tone in the spring. There’s a bridge we drove over the lake to get here that creates a graceful span.  The rooms are five-star hotel rooms with whatever you’d expect to find at such a place in China.  But the joint, built for thousands is empty.  There are perhaps two other guests here that we can see.

Now, for the third banquet meal since we arrived, we pile downstairs into the large baojian room.  Enjoying a dry period me-self, I explain to everyone for the third time that I will not be drinking.  I must endure about five minutes of pleading and cajoling around this but soon things move on.  Drinking toasts, and drinking rituals descend into drinking games.  Count from one to seven, and then, repeating seven return down to one as we go around the circle.  If you mess up you drink a shot.  Uproariously fun for most of the table, it’s a bit tedious, supping shots of H2O. 




An in law, a new relative I’m meeting for the first time is a retired army officer.  He has opinions.  I only catch flashes of what he’s asserting, but they’re hot flashes.  I grow eager to debate him.  “No.” I suggest abruptly.  “If you joined the army in 74, then you know the PLA wasted ten years of potential modernization during the Cultural Revolution, when your army should have properly invested.”  This of course sets off spirited debate about the utility of guerilla war and whether or not China “lost” during its own invasion of Vietnam in 79.  Every adult besides me is sauced and ready with contributions.  I ought to deescalate and I look to do so.  Raising his glass to toast him, as a young fella ought to, I ask him who (yes, yes, of course, besides Mao Zi Dong) who is the Chinese general you most respect.  This does the trick and waxes starry eyed and says, that while Peng Dehuai was the general who Americans generally acknowledge as impressive, for having beat the Beautiful Country to a standstill, it was Liu Bocheng, who was the Chinese, fighting-man’s general.  “He’s my man.”

I checked the name once and checked the name twice.  I hadn’t heard of him.  And as the conversation moved on, I quietly looked up the general.  “China’s Mars” so named by the German surgeon who removed the bullet from his un-anesthetized head with seventy-three different incisions.  I learned about his close relationship with Deng Xiaoping and his many disagreements with the Chairman, over tactics.  I found a quote or two and was just about ready to reenter the fray, asking the older in-law how he could reconcile Mao and Liu’s disdain for one another . . . but I, appropriately, surely, let it go.  There was another toast being made to a healthy, prosperous New Year.



Friday, 02/16/18



No comments:

Post a Comment