Saturday, August 10, 2019

And Look Away Swiftly





Approaching the shores of England, it would seem.   We left Cairo a few hours ago and flew across Eastern Europe and now from somewhere near Rotterdam off and across to The U.K.  I spent the flight till now, reading Naguib Mahfouz  book “Khan al-Khalili” which I impulse bought in the Cairo Airport, along with four plates that have silly Nile maps placed upon them and the David Roberts book I got that which I’d considered pinching form my hotel suite but later thought I was more likely to enjoy over time if I actually purchased the collection rather than always considering the book, the prints, the subject, as something tainted.  The Mahfouz book was a wonderful read through, though not as artful as the Cairo Trilogy work which seemed to glisten from the pages.  This was, regardless, a tale well told, of two brothers who both fall for the same beautiful young neighbor.  If there was anything more wretched than being a lonely man in that world, it would certainly have been being cast as a woman who is only allowed to gaze out windows and then look swiftly away.   This was apparently one of, if not the first, novel by this Nobel Laurate.  Set in the very neighborhood we were bouncing around in last week, I should have bought the second Mahfouz book they had at the airport too, the reading of this first one went by so swiftly.





I learned something on the first Air Egypt flight which was that they do a very poor job on that carrier of channeling any of Egypt’s remarkable culinary tradition into something that can be served on a tray.  Preparing to board the ten-hour flight I decided it would be a fine day for a fast.  I wouldn’t be missing anything.  Indeed, the last two nights of R&R at the Marriott Hurghada were relaxing.   We all agreed the food we ate the first night at the Italian restaurant ‘Tuscany’, was wretched.  The great name had no power to evoke anything substantive.   I was making great pains not to demand anything of anyone else on the trip, beyond getting home safe.  I couldn’t help myself though and I mentioned that there were three or four of what appeared to be reasonable restaurants there in Hurghada town, but we went instead last night to the hotel buffet, which was acceptable if uninspired as smorgasbords go.  I woke up at two, early in anticipation of our 5:30AM connecting flight, with a return of the runs and decided that today would be a fine day, to cease all eating for a while. 

To my left, my wife is reading the biography of Omm Sety (a.k.a. Dorothy Eady), which I enjoyed much more than I figured I would when I read about this reincarnation and impulse-bought it the other day at Abydos where the Ms. Eady, the Irish-English woman of mystical Egyptian cognizance lived out her later years.  I had gobbled it up on the car ride out of the temple compound, down to Qena.  It is the sort of story that would be ruined very quickly in the age of Youtube and Instagram.  But one-hundred years ago, in another era, she worked as a convincing Egyptologist with some of the best names in the field, she could read hieroglyphics and liaise convincingly with the great mind’s of the field.  All of which cast her, as a much more formidable figure.   The biography is entertaining early on and then gets bogged down with a lot of journal entries and speculative diagnosis that don’t add to what had otherwise flown well as a short biography at least for the first one hundred and forty pages’ worth.  I’ve encouraged her to see if she could at least make it that far. 



I had hoped the girls would read it as well.  I suspected that if they make it in the first twenty-pages they’d likely get hooked.  The more time passes from our trip at Abydos, the less likely the connection will ever be made, I suspect. 

Reflecting on Egypt, there was a wonderful buzz in Cairo that can only come from confronting a famous city of that stature with its five-thousand years of extant architecture present.  I could have spent weeks more exploring that city, retuning at a quiet time to see more of the pyramids, rounding out an understanding of the Coptic period and spending most time, I’d suspect rounding out an understanding of the long period off Islamic rule  and all that these strata of different rulers meant in terms of the city’s extant architecture.  Ra’s piercing sun found it’s green-dolphin blue up at Alexandria.  An overnight train that seemed to make everyone very grateful that it would only be one night that they spent on the train.  Luxor with so much to see and kids who could only take so much temple-hopping in 107-degree heat.  Our boat cruise slowed everything down for our entire party. A temple per day would do.  Waking up with the morning time Nile birds, waking up with the call to prayer and generally succumbing to the slow pace of boat life with its consistent boat personalities.  Aswan where the hotel was a tourist attraction unto itself.  And the Elephantine Island out across the porch.  Abu Simbel ultimately worth the long drive down to the very boarder of the Sudan.  I hadn’t been sure we’d have actually make it there and I’m very glad we did.  The next section the one-last-temple gesture, where we returned all the way to Luxor and the pleasant young receptionist at the Winter Palace hotel whose face I was imagining when they described Nawal in the Mahfouz novel just now.  I got to see Luxor Temple all by myself that afternoon, which allowed for more reflection and less lecturing and Abydos the next day took us deeper into what Egypt is probably most like, off the tourist run, into conservative cities and eggplant vendors who didn’t want those boiling eggplant photographed.  Hurghada bright and uneventful enough.  We passed on snorkeling and submarines and jet skis and just relaxed in the water.  We’ll see if we are able to do another such journey next year.  If so, that would be grand.   What I’d really like to find just now is a map, but I can’t figure out how to have the in-flight one turned on.  The overhead screen has au one hundred kilometer out from Glencolumbkille, in Donegal. 



Monday, 07/15/19

No comments:

Post a Comment