Sunday, August 11, 2019

Cod Fried With Garlic





I document every day.  But these documents are not always penned in the day concerned.  A day is missed.  And then another and they build pressure on my shoulders until one day, like today, I decide I’ll get my documentation done.  I have a lot of grading to do but I allow myself to get this done first. 

I’m home alone except for when the ayi pops by.  She’s a pleasant person.  It’s good to see her.  She suggests she needs some money to buy paper towels and toilet paper.  I don’t have any cash.  I tell her I’ll visit the ATM later in the morning.  Outside it is phenomenally hot and oddly humid.  Inside its chilly even though I think I’ve turned the air con off.  



Later at the market I grab a few vegetables.  Everything, no matter what it is, ten RMB.  Want two red onions?  Ten RMB.  Want three carrots?  Ten RMB. Broccoli, potatoes and basically any vegetable they sell, are all packed up onto ten RMB portions.  One suspects this would be one tenth the price at local wet market.  In the freezer section they have some frozen cod.  I’d bought chicken and I’d bought pork this week.  I imagine the taste of the cod fried with garlic and zucchini and pull out a frozen packet. 



Late that evening.  Later than I should be sitting down to eat I mince the garlic and use a peeler to shred the zukes and but the cod up into little rectangles.  No one has been pressing me that they are hungry.  If you’re cooking for one time becomes relative.  I’m hungry.  But I’m busy.  Once I eat I’ll get sleepy.  So I work for longer and longer until its already 9:30PM.  I’d better cook this cod. 



Tuesday, 7/30/19



No comments:

Post a Comment