Friday, October 5, 2018

Fascinating, If Vermin Ridden





I didn’t connect to the internet early on this flight and I think it's cost me.  I’ve checked over and over again for the last ninety minutes.  We must be over a prolonged dead zone.  The United Wifi page “cannot be displayed.”  I’ve four day’s worth of journal entries to catch up on.  May as well be productive. 

I spent the first four hours of this flight reading.  I resumed my path through “Justine” which I'd began on the flight over.  The first of the four novels in the “Alexandrian Quartet” by Lawrence Durrell.  It’s certainly dark, lusty and rather opaque.  I was hoping to care more about some of these characters we were going to spend the next four books with.  The description of Alexandria itself, which I am certainly most interested in is consistently fascinating, if vermin ridden. 



I’ve got the second volume “Balthezar” here in the seat pocket in front of me.  The book is an old copy what my step dad kindly leant me.  There are one-line blubs from publications I recognize as well as those that have long since folded, claiming that this one is “even better than Justine.”  I hope so. 

This cold is nasty.  My sinus’ are like an open drain.  I have this massive pillow that is supposed to give my neck a break, but it aggravates the earbuds in my ears and so I’ve I do the pillow I forgo the tunes.  The position of this chair is such that every time I fall asleep, I keep waking up, leaning forward, drooling, dripping.  



Off to the right the feel-good football movie with Ice Cube has been replaced with Governor Arnold and a band of camouflaged multi racial tough guys stalking a Latino jungle fort.  It would be a wonderful film to be able to completely ignore.  But I will keep glancing over unless I manage to sleep.  I’ll check the internet once again.  Perhaps it’s finally back.


Saturday, 9/8/18


No comments:

Post a Comment