Thursday, October 4, 2018

I Go Up to 3%





Ahh, this phone.  Very, very soon, I will retire this phone.  I was ready to retire this phone last spring.  I wanted to chuck it all summer.  I have told myself that I may as well wait for Apple’s newest release that will be out in a few weeks.  This, because the moment the new phone is bought there is a timer that steadily makes it obsolete with regards to whatever new, power hungry apps and peripherals come out.  I’ve a cool pair of Bluetooth headphones that were a gift to me that sit idle and unused on my shelf.  The Bluetooth on this phone isn’t strong enough to support them.

Today, I set off for the gym with a charge up in the 90s.  Had a nice chat with my mom on the way over.  Had a productive catch up with a colleague on the way back.  Went a bit further than I might otherwise do, to get some coffee for the Mrs. who’d be grateful, I did.  And back home I showered and called a Di Di.  A prospect of mine suggested we meet at the airport.  That was a grand suggestion for me, who lives quite close to the airport.  Much, closer certainly than anywhere downtown.



Cars here, and it’s almost 9:00AM.  I’ve a call I’ll do, I’ve told myself from inside the cab. Settling in I notice that my power is dangerously low, at 20%.  I establish the bridge and get the phone plugged in to my computer to charge.  One bell, two bells and a third bell dings on the bridge.  Glancing it’s clear that my phone hasn’t been taking in any power, despite being plugged in.  I welcome everyone and try to stay calm.  My power is now down to 7%. 



I conduct the call in as nonchalant a fashion as I can.  But in fact, I’m desperately pressing the connector into the phone, for it is the only way I can see to make the charge hold.  I go up to 3% and return down to 2%.  We get closer and closer to the airport and unlike any other ride I’ve ever done to this location I desperately want to go slower.  This driver won’t want to sit idle at the airport.  He’ll want me to get out.  If I do, this ability to charge will cease and the call will all be over. 

The cab driver looks at me worriedly when I ask him to stay put for just three minutes.  I come clean with the folks on the call, and explain that unless there is anything especially pressing to attend to a rapid wrap up would be ideal, as . . . I am about to lose power. No worries.  That’s what we do.  Stepping out I unplug the phone from my computer and allow the phone’s charge to expire. Down below at Starbucks it seems to take forever to light back up.



Thursday, 8/30/18


No comments:

Post a Comment