Friday, October 5, 2018

This Candor Seems Precious




Well it is Saturday here and in the U.S. it is Friday morning.  No surprise.  The Senate has voted to vote on Kavanaugh.  Flake was the only real vote that wasn’t decided on the Judiciary Committee.  He’s going forward.  I can only suspect that the rest of the swing votes, Murkowski from Alaska and Collins from Maine will also fall in line.  Certainly. the nation seems rather divided from afar.  I tried to press my dad this morning when we spoke about it on the phone.  But wait, weren't things more divisive in 1968?  Certainly . . . it seems that way when I look back.  But I was only two. 

It is Saturday here in China.  I’m making crisp time down Jingmi Lu at 12:50AM.  It’s nearly 1:00AM and I’d love to suggest I’m heading into the city to the Workers’ Stadium Area to party till dawn.  Rather I’m picking up my older one, who had negotiated a deal so that she could party till 1:30AM.  We’re heading down in a car that will pick her up and then we’ll turn around and come straight back home. 




The road is full of big trucks this evening.  During the day, they are almost certainly not allowed to ride this road. At night, there is no one else doing much except revelers.  Some of the trucks are joining me on to the Airport express way.  But here there is greater diversity of traffic.  We have lots of cabs and an airport bus and no shortage of SUVs on this highway.  If every day traffic were like this, oh, what a different city it would be. 




Indeed, we’re making such good time I suspect she’ll be a bit disappointed when I get there as early as I do.  I suppose I’m enthralled by the fact that she tells the truth.  I want to go to a club and I won’t be drinking and I’d like you to pick me up.  She wanted to come home later.  I told her “no.’  We bargained a bit.  And came to an agreement.  This candor seems precious.  I’m willing to invest a late-night ride and more in trying to reinforce these threads.  And when I arrive back home, I will go straight to bed. 



Saturday, 9/29/18


No comments:

Post a Comment