Saturday, July 26, 2014

Exotic Medievalia




Evora is as beautiful as it sounds.  Drove over here from Lisbon yesterday and arrived around 6:00PM when the sun still had a few hours left to the day.  With nothing else that a street address and the name of the hotel we headed into the city walls in this little Volkswagon I’m driving.  Amazed to see the name of the small hotel we were booked at on a list of arrowed signs, I headed right.  We followed the road through improbable turns that would have been impossible in a car any bigger than this one.  At least three times, when I was about to give up, get out and ask, there’d be another sign with “Hotel Riviera” and numerous other’s names on it.  Cool.   

My wife, who is rather familiar with hutong driving, riding shotgun beside me was unfazed and unimpressed with my flappable navigational ability.  “Did you see that?”  “It’s no big deal.”  “Come on, that was cool.”  “Concentrate on where you’re going.”  I drove up and up, the only way possible forward, convinced I was now completely lost.  Finally I surmounted a hill to a square with Roman ruins and fortress-like cathedral.  Beautiful.  But what now?  Limping along to where the horse and buggy carts were parked, I almost yelped to find yet another “Hotel Riviera” sign and with that, the literal end-of-the-road.  We strolled down a cobble stone path no more than fifty feet, and there we were.  This must have been a karmic gift after my horrendous exploration of the wrong side of the Douro River in Porto. 



Very pleasantly surprised by the accommodations here at this joint.  Lovely older gentleman at the front desk who calmed my fears about getting ticketed where I’d parked.  The rooms are spacious, with what must be twelve-foot ceilings that come to an improbable stone dome over my head, where I am writing now.  It’s one thing to explain the mystery of arch building to my daughters sitting in a church.  It is another matter entirely to sleep beneath said mystery.  Any one of these stones dropped on my head from that height would be more than enough to do me in.

Last night we walked straight up to the Roman temple ruin.  Apparently it was covered over for years and only recently uncovered.  It isn’t anything like the ruins of Ephesus we saw last summer but that it is here at all is remarkable.  I’d laughed when my little one said “No temples” as to her touring preferences in Portugal.  That will be easy love there are no temples they’re all churches.  Very glad to know I was wrong.  I pointed out to my older one that this was the same time as the Han Dynasty roughly in China and that there was not one Han building still standing in China.  Plenty of other remarkable evidence but wooden buildings have not survived.



She said something interesting for a young lady, who has just had years of intense obligatory, Chinese history:  “Chinese history is boring.  I like Greek and Roman history because I find it interesting.”  I tried to tell her that it is OK to say “I am not particularly interested in Chinese history.”  But it sounds ignorant to say that it is boring.  It disappoints me to learn that she feels that way, though I should be thrilled that she likes any history at all, I suppose.  But what are they doing over there, such that they take the sweep of Chinese history and make it “boring” where as Rick Riordan, and “The Lightening Thief” and hopefully a few of our trips, have made Greco-Roman history compelling?   Bad history teachers will be 千古罪人[1]

I was following suggested names in Rdio and came upon a gent I didn’t recognize, Mr. Les Baxter.   I have on the song “Moonscape” from the 1958 release “Space Escapade.”  I suppose I prefer Sun Ra for my 1950's space exploration but still, its pleasant.  Mr. Baxter who looks more like a quarterback than he does a curator of the exotic, seems to have had a rather prolific output in the late fifties and early sixties sound-tracking the unexplored from space, to jungles to Babylon.   I had been familiar with Martin Deny’s work and this seems to fit squarely into that genre, that mixes jazz capabilities with Hollywood necessities. There was a quote from Mr. Baxter’s wiki page by David Troop which seemed fitting:

Baxter "offered package tours in sound, selling tickets to sedentary tourists who wanted to stroll around some taboo emotions before lunch, view a pagan ceremony, go wild in the sun or conjure a demon, all without leaving home hi-fi comforts in the white suburbs."


This all seems fitting, listening now, having actually made it out of my exotic Chinese suburb to the wilds of medieval Portugal.  I’ll cue up some more pagan sounds for the ride back down south today, and ignore that fact that Baxter’s sampling is all a bit a-historical and thoroughly of his time.







[1] qiāngǔzuìrén sb condemned by history (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment