Friday, July 18, 2014

Something She Needs to Say




Up early, jet lagged, waiting for the sun to rise over Lisbon.  My little one is up too.  But the older sister is still sleeping so we’re sitting in the dark with our devices.  Predictable perhaps, but I am listening to the Queen of Fado, Ms. Amalia Rodrigues, sing “Estranha Forma de Vida” from 1965, which translates into, “A Strange Form of Life,” here on my second morning in Lisbon.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFgctURyGp4

Yesterday my girls and I were walking up the steps to Lisbon’s castle.  “How much further?” “It’s not far, you can see the walls, there.”  “I’m tired.”  “Me too!” And then, from off the side was unmistakable sound of “Fado” or “fate” being sung from a little restaurant tucked conveniently off the side of the road, on the way up the hill.  I’d had it in mind to try to go to see some live music with the girls, that night, somewhere in the Alfama.  And their fatigue and my thirst and the mournful sound converged there in the sun and it became clear that we were stopping for a while.



“A Tasouinha” is the name of the joint, if you’re ever in town.  A weathered older gent on acoustic guitar with fat cigar fingers, and a younger fella in black on what appeared to be a twelve string “Portuguese Guitar” which has the characteristic high end, double picked sounds, tight but not too tight to bend and weep were up there strumming by the kitchen.  The singer was a lady whom we later learned was Mafalda Ferreira.  It is her CD I have on now is a rough, live recording she calls “Outra Lado”, or “Another Side.”  And where as I could have played a recording of this music for my girls, one hundred times before hand, it was not difficult to get my daughters to concentrate now, in the live moment.  There she was and the songs she offered were so undeniably . . . sad.  “Why do you think it sounds so sad?  Why is she so sad?”  “She probably has something she really needs to say.”  Bingo.  With only her voice; 可歌可泣[1].

And I tried to get them to imagine this same mournful sound bouncing off the same city walls, beneath this castle for generations and generations.  They are both taking classes to perfect their singing.  Consider this voice.  Here was such a strong female singing, echoing about the courtyard, without any kareokee microphone and only two simple acoustic instruments to invoke these powerful gusts.  And in their own way, with a silent acknowledgement and they considered this young woman’s power.  And that was enough. 

I’ve been enjoying so much music this past year for the nominal fee of $10 per month with Rdio and it struck me how far I’ve come from actually thinking of buying music.  I ordered and soon had a plate of olives, when a gentleman took the informal stage before the musicians, following Ms. Ferreria who'd taken a break and off to the side.  This man, Jose Matos also delivered an emotional set, dodging waiters, up next to the restaurant’s cart used for bussing dirty dishes.  And it was he, who came around our table with his CD to sel after the set.  I had no hesitation to support him, though I wished I might have been able to support Ms. Ferreira as well.  And, on queue she did the rounds of the tables, once Mr. Matos had finished.  Now I did hesitate, but I wanted the girls to hear her voice again, so I dug deep into my pocket and got another 15 Euros for her and her career.  Listening to her now a third time, I'm glad I did.



Listening to them now, Mr. Matos who looks quite a bit more dapper on his CD jacket, clearly cut his disc in a studio, where as Ms. Ferreria’s effort was a collection of roughly spliced live songs, interrupted by plates clanking and sidebar conversations, (fortunately in Portuguese) that all seem to make her sad songs, sound even sadder, her attempt to carve a life out as a contemporary Fado singer, playing for tourists, a more acute struggle.

Today we’ll drive over to Sintra and perhaps up to Porto.  And hopefully this budget renal service I’m using will have at least a DVD players inside so we can listen to Ms. Ferreria and Mr. Matos and their queen, Ms. Rodrigues who was born in grinding poverty in 1920 and who was able to use the tradition of "fate" to rise to international recognition, and whose double CD I also bought thereafter at the Castle Gift Shop, even though it is probably available on Rdio.  We’ll listen to them over and over till it forms a subliminal Madeline reference point capable of invoking a shadow of this time, off somewhere in the future when these Portuguese blues, unexpectedly settles into our ears.




[1] kěgēkěqì:  lit. you can sing or you can cry (idiom); fig. deeply moving / happy and sad / inspiring and tragic

No comments:

Post a Comment