Friday, August 15, 2014

Amazing Journey





Looks like my iPod is fried.  I have one with some 150Gs of music on it that acts like a library.  It gave out when we were on holiday in Portugal and I credited it to the fact that the chargers we had were no good.  But when I got home nothing seemed to work to bring it back to life.  Visiting the Apple Store yesterday, they confirmed it was not only dead but out-of-warranty, as well.  “You’d best get a new one” they advised.  I’d never had any problem with it before, though upon deeper reflection it may well have been that complementary bottle of wine I brought from the hotel that spilled in my backpack on the drive up to Porto.  Even when you don’t ingest it, complementary wine has a way of causing problems.

On any other trip, suddenly winding up without tunes would be a major disaster.  But these days I sync so much to my Rdio app in on my iPhone, it was only a minor annoyance.  Since I’ve been back I missed it because I use it when I head to the gym.  My phone has all this new jazz, mostly that I’ve been discovering and writing about.  But that’s not usually what I need at the gym.  Rather, I require fuel-injection.  And so I paused the other day and downloaded a bunch of old friends.  It’s not the same as having my whole library handy, but for now this will do.  And, as Apple intended, it may ultimately serve to make my needing to have two devices, a thing of the past. 

Hendrix and The Who aren’t just for the gym anymore either.  My guilty pleasure is to turn up the meager car stereo to as far as it will go (“40” is somehow the limit) and roll down the windows in the late summer and force anyone within earshot to confront Keith Moon’s drumming along with me.  I’m not going to feature The Who today, because I’ve already done so, and rules are rules.  But I will say that it has been such a pleasure reintroducing the story of “Tommy” to my little one.  I’d tried to do this with only modest success years ago and while the older one has some recollection the younger does not. 

I played “It’s a Boy” for her on the ride to school and immediately she was hooked with the basic tale:  “Why is he blind, deaf and dumb?”  “He saw the murder of his father.  Then his mother and stepfather yelled at him to forget it.”  So, driving downtown yesterday, in ferocious deluge, we could continue onward into the story, with the “Amazing Journey” and beyond.  Her north-of-neutral interest was similarly water, on my parched, paternal landscape that wants them to like all the music I like. 



We were heading to a party for my niece.  She heads off today for America, to begin a four-year undergrad program at Michigan State.  I wish I could help her with my broad network there in East Lansing, but alas, I don’t I know anyone who lives in the state of Michigan.  Beyond the Detroit airport, I’ve only ever been there once, when I was also visiting a different university in Ann Arbor.  On the one hand, she is a mere statistic: another Chinese student, heading off America. Part of the rising tide of Chinese affluence and aspiration that is changing everything, including American higher education.  And, of course, she is also my family, someone I met when she was two.  Someone who is shy, and confident, and doesn’t know much of anything about America, much less East Lansing, but is going to get off a plane tomorrow in Detroit and make her way off to school, conflating her Chinese and her new American dream. 



My sage-like annoyance that I had to share, which is something I’ve told her before, countless times, was:  “Please, make friends with non-Chinese speakers.  If you get through this year without a non-Chinese speaking friend, you’ve failed.”  When I was her age, I’d never left the country and didn’t have a passport.  My first adventurous trip overseas a few years later, was to England and Ireland, which took ever-so-much courage given the language and cultural challenge that pales before what she is staring down.  My family in New York don’t know it yet, but I’m flying her out to New York for Thanksgiving, so she doesn’t have to sit in a dorm eating instant noodles with all the other Chinese kids, during the Thanksgiving Holiday.

Oh yeah, rules are rule.  I’m listening to the lovely lady behind the voice I’d heard countless times on the radio, Marian McPartland.  I don’t think I ever really sat down and listened to hear playing before.  I’ve a beautiful album of hers from 1956 entitled “After Dark”, the song is the moody “Chelsea Bridge.”  Born in Slough, England in 1918, at the end of World War I, she was told she’d never record, because she was a ‘she’ and white and British.  Fortunately that was a 似是而非[1] There are nearly fifty sessions of recordings there, credited to her discography.  I always heard her discussing jazz in such a dignified way with other musicians on the radio, it is great to explore her work, itself.   A familiar voice, from when I last lived in the U.S. I hadn’t realized that she passed last year, back nearby to where I’m from, there in Port Washington New York.  I’ll see if I can get my girls to check her, and her “Amazing Journey” out this morning. 





[1] sìshì'érfēi:  apparently right but actually wrong; specious (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment