Friday, August 1, 2014

An Inspiring End




Went out to the end of the world yesterday.  Cabo Sao Vincente, a few miles on beyond Sagres in the Algarve.  The cliffs are a sheer drop down for what must have been four or five hundred feet.  Below, in the caves the water has worn away over the eons the waves crash into emptiness, foam rising to spray, over and over.  Looking out to the sea and doing one’s best to imagine the Portuguese explorers setting off for the edge of the world you stare and stare at the vast blue water and consider the fabric of all the sea’s motion.  Then one has to look across, 悬崖峭壁[1]



There was a second point that provided a view back to the lighthouse.  No path, we had to amble across a rough lava-like stone, slowly.  And I went and sat by the cliff side and just listened to the sea and the hissing and tried to think about nothing.   I’d have probably driven forty minutes to see the furthest most point of Eurasia, even if it were mud flats or an industrial park.  But a red light house above frightening, sheer cliffs . . . that’ll do.



And this is temporal, for right now I’m driving over the Hudson River , on the George Washington Bridge and I was trying, in vein, alas, to point out the “Little Red Lighthouse” to my daughters.  “Remember that book?”  “Totally.”  “I love that book.”  “Where is it?”  “Little brother, turn on your lights!”  “It’s down there to the right.”  “No.  Remember, its’ on the left.”   Since I was five years old and searched for it myself the fact that the lighthouse is so illusive and tough to confront always makes the story that much more compelling.

My eyes are sore and I’ve just swapped in a new pair of contacts.  But somehow they are still sore.  I read for hours and hours on the flight over through bad lighting and good.  I managed to finish the Venter book about Portugal’s colonial wars in Africa.  Its compiled recently years after his reporting in the field but no solid summary of all that transpired since then was provided.  Rather, it’s him in the field. This is fascinating and lively, but incomplete.  What happened after Salazar? 

Now we’re driving up the Henry Hudson Parkway.  I’m typing in the back seat and my dad is characteristically driving aggressively.  This is combining with the hard curves and post seven hour flight malaise to cultivate a bit of carsickness.  But its nothing compared to these drives across the mine infested roads of Angola, sitting back to back staring out at the jungle expecting an ambush, at any moment. I’ll have to look up what happened to Portugal after they finally threw in the towel on colonial Africa. Now, as then, none of these countries, Guinea Bissau, Angola or Mozambique nearly ever appear in the news.  I once got very close to seeing the first of them.  Someday.

Driving along the coast up to Sagres and out to the point yesterday we had on such a lovely album by yet another gent I’d never been familiar with.  The trumpet player Lee Harper was born in LeJuene, North Carolina in 1945 and died sixty five years later in Motzart’s home of Salzburg, Austria.  I synched up a few of his albums but this one entitled Puget Sound from 2010 is particularly tasteful.  The title track breathes knowingly. We had it on for the drive up to Sao Vincente after a big seafood lunch of sea bream and octopus.  Man, a sea bream not only tastes good, but it is one big fish.  They had two out in a glass case in front and they are imposing sea creatures, which I would make way for, were I to be pressed to do so.  I can’t recall how it was I found Mr. Hamilton.  Not that he’d care but he’s all about Atlantic cliffs and big red fish, in my mind, forever forward. 





[1] xuányáqiàobì:  sheer cliffs and precipitous rock faces (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment