Friday, August 29, 2014

Green Mountain Bop

 


I don’t know if I’ve yet to profile a Green Mountain Boy, a Vermonter jazz musician on the site.  Today we'll do two.  Claude Williamson was a pianist known for his contributions to the west coast jazz scene.  But he was born in Brattleboro VT, in 1926.  I came to him through Hampton Hawes and am enjoying a 1955 album of his credited under The Claude Williamson Trio.  The tune, “My Heart Stood Still” sounds confident, and clean.  Claude had a younger brother named Stu who was a trumpet player and this provides me with material.  I think I may even like his eponymous album “Stu Williams” released the following year, more than his older brother’s trio effort. This song “Hongry Child” flows on like Vermont maple sap. I've got to explain this fraternity to my gals.  http://www.allmusic.com/artist/claude-williamson-mn0000121047/biography

My older daughter is searching or at least supposed to be searching for a “cool” piano teacher.  Her younger sister brought home her band trumpet yesterday.  I’ll see if I can impress upon them the connection to the Williamson boys.   I was so happy to be outside the band practice yesterday, where all the first time brass blowers were exhaling.  One of the moms and I got talking and she asked me what instrument my son played?  Ahh, yes, my daughter is blowing the trumpet.  



The hearing of young ears is far better than one might assume.  I just told my younger daughter about Stu and Claude in close range. “Oh.  Thanks dad.”  When I tried to impress upon my older daughter a while later that the older brother played piano she started to finish the sentence. “ The younger sister played trumpet.”  “No.” “I was obligated to interrupt.  He actually taught his gerbil to play trumpet and they had an act together, which was odd.  Do you want to see the video?”  Parents, it seems, must necessarily be corny. 

Back on Y Combinator’s Hacker News today.  Two interesting articles at the top of their list.  One that mapped out a few different means by which humans might ultimately travel to, say, the nearest neighboring solar system, Alpha Centauri.   Solar Sails that fly in towards the sun, charge up intense solar power before sailing out beyond the sun’s reach.  A faster, but more apocalyptic means might be to use fusion power.  “Load your starship with 300,000 nuclear bombs, detonate one every three seconds, and ride the blast waves.”  And then, there is the Star Trek favorite of warp speed, which would alter space and gravity so severely to allow for the transcendence of time as we know it.   Beyond my lifetime, I can only imagine, but as the article notably points out in the last sentence “Today, a starship seems like the height of futuristic thinking. Future generations might find it quaint.” 

The other article examines a rigorous study in of 50,000 Italians illustrating that social networking seems to have a negative effect on individual welfare.  : (   A broad survey that correlated to people’s use of Facebook and Twitter asked: ““How satisfied are you with your life as a whole nowadays?”  Interestingly it seems that actually engaging with real humans, face to face, not unlike the woman I referenced on the subway yesterday, actually heightens your sense of well being:

They found for example that face-to-face interactions and the trust people place in one another are strongly correlated with well-being in a positive way. In other words, if you tend to trust people and have lots of face-to-face interactions, you will probably assess your well-being more highly.



I consider it a badge of something that I have managed to avoid having a Facebook presence all these years.  To me it always just seems such an enormous time sink to deal with so many people’s likes and dislikes.  Who cares?  Now I come to realize it is reinforcing my self-esteem, as well to engage, as I do, with real faces,  形于色[1] or whatever flavor, rather than emoticons. :)






[1] xǐxíngyúsè:  face light up with delight (idiom); to beam with joy

No comments:

Post a Comment