Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Shedding on the Keyboard




David Murray’s on the mind.  Consuming so many new tenor players, so many different jazz sounds in a daily manner, it is wonderful to spend a bit of time with a deeply familiar voicing.  I first saw David Murray in what must have been 1986 or so at my undergrad institution, Wesleyan University.  He came to play and I can still remember him clasping his hands in prayer and, if memory serves, kissing the hand of one or our “professors” the exceptional man from New Orleans, the drummer Ed Blackwell, who taught at the school.

Later, I caught him once at the Village Vanguard and this must have been around 1992 or so.  I still remember that when he soloed he’d have remarkably long phrasings; only possible because he’d perfected the technique of breathing in his nose while he’d blow, and blow and blow out his mouth.   I’ve heard of saxophone players doing this; effectively impossible to imagine but lovely to listen to.  And, deep into his tenor solos, David Murray’s eyeballs would loop back up into his skull.  All you’d see was the whites of his enormous eyes, up above his big mustache which was a wee bit disconcerting.  A fairly portly fellow he’d swing back and forth and shed off mesmerizing, powerful lines of narrative that elicited yells here, there and from within about the audience. 



Rdio has a ton of his material on the site and I have Deep River on from 1988 with the suggestive post-Fusion title “Jazz is Back” for the first tune. It sounds clear and strong, assertive. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_River_(David_Murray_album)
I don’t know quite why, latent jet lag perhaps, but I’ve been so tired and cranky all day and strong and assertive is working for me, at least from someone else’s solar plexus.  I am up above Hebei Province, I suppose, preparing to land in Beijing Capital Airport on a flight back north from Shenzhen.  I’m flying on Shenzhen Airlines.  I seem t remember saying nice things about their in flight food a few posts back.  There was nothing whatsoever nice to say about what I was served this evening.   The gent next to me is ogling, there is no other word for it, the in-flight magazine which seems to be profiling suggestive pictures of Shenzhen Airline stewardesses, in their après work bathing suits.  It is obviously drawing my eyes as well. 

And in as much as we’re over Hebei Province and not Shandong or Jiangsu, the command to put all electronic devices away is upon me, just as I’m getting in to the rhythm of this entry.  I have closed the computer so that, like David Murray I can’t see anything I’m playing but can continue to type, as I know where the keys are on the device.  Soon, one of the young ladies, who are fully clothed and not in their bathing suits, will tap me on the shoulder and tell me to put this saxophone away.  But for now I’m swinging, dare I say shedding, along with David Murray.  The gent across the aisle to me who was far better behaved and put away his iPad with his movie when asked is eyeing me disdainfully.  “Who do you think you are dude, to be writing away on your device when mine is shut off?”  “Me, I suppose.  I have nothing to say to you bro.”  I’m just doing what I want, which isn’t thoughtful but is indicative of someone who travels way, way too much and considers it his is responsibility to write something ever day. 



I can’t type as fast as David Murray is shedding.  No way.  But I wish I could, notes, letters, 纷至沓来[1].  It might be possible if I typed nonsense lines, like, say, my name over and over again, but not if I want to say something substantive.    I think I will plug in my electric guitar tomorrow when I’m home and get a few things done, so I can cut off a few lines of modest musical nonsense myself.  But they barely allow for computers on a plane.  There is no patience for an electric guitar.  What would the airline company do, if you played, even unplugged, on a plane?  That would be an entertaining effort.  Someone, surely would ask you to put the damn thing away, which would be reasonable.   Short of Hendrix plucking away beside me I know I would.  Still, it would be a fine way to pass the time on a long flight.  I wouldn’t object if David Murray pulled out his axe back in row seven behind me, though everyone else on this flight would .  Instead, I have to hear a lonesome, predictable erhu sound wafting up over my jazz, because my noise reduction headsets are out of battery power and instead of have little ear buds in.  The sound is like some kind of syrupy Kenny G coming in to poison one’s dream over this ferocious, unbridled playing I’m trying to concentrate on. 

Ok, OK.  Even if I’m not told to do so, I think I’ll pack int in.  For once I don't’ have any immediate travel pending.  At least for the rest of this week.  I’m psyched to wake up quietly tomorrow.  

(and he did.)



[1] fēnzhìtàlái:  to come thick and fast (idiom)

No comments:

Post a Comment