Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Rudy's Home




I made it to Englewood Cliffs!  I only had a little time and I promptly headed out on to Hackensack Avenue and went the wrong way on Route 4.  I could feel it instantly.  I was heading west and not east, away from the “west” side Highway and not towards “east” New York.  Turning around with an illegal u-turn and got back towards where I needed to on Route 4, and then turned left on to Fletcher Avenue, evoking the mnemonic of my alma mater.  Up, and on to a busy boulevard and there I was, cruising down Sylvan Avenue.  A few blocks on and the it was clear that I had arrived at #44.  But it was a bank. 

It wasn’t a new bank, either.  I had seen on line a guy who visited Rudy van Gelder’s studio two years back.  This bank was early 80’s vintage.  Next-door was a suburban office block, not a Frank Lloyd Wright inspired building.  So it did not appear that anything was recently destroyed.  And this was hardly the inspiring setting I imagined Lee Morgan and Hank Mobley walking past en route to a session.  I cursed Google Maps, considered what could have gone wrong and realized that I’d copied the address wrong.  I still had open the Wiki page and it was “444”, not “44.”   Right.  Well then, further on down Slyvan Avenue . . .

And then, there it was.  The suburban boulevard wasn’t any different four hundred yards down.  But there, between an office park and some other roadside eye sore was a driveway that told you there was no way turn around in side.  I went and parked the car, down the next street, which wasn’t at all straightforward and went over to have a look.  Sure enough, #444 was the characteristic high ceilinged wooden building, I’d seen in seen in photos on line.  In the parking lot were two cars, suggesting someone was home.  I pondered going and knocking but held true to my original thinking that it was best not to bother anyone 89 years old when I only had a few minutes to spare anyway. “I’ve traveled from China to be here.”  “Really?  Come in and stay a while.”  “I gotta go.”



Rather, I stood in the driveway and imagined, all the people who walked down this simple path, year after year.  I considered Horace Silver, and Donald Byrd and Jackie McLean and thought longest perhaps about the “Love Supreme” sessions recorded right over those walls.  How did Coltrane and Elvin Jones all make it out here for those days?  Did they take the bus with their instruments?  Did someone from Blue Note have a car?  Did someone pick them up from a train station?  What was the reaction like from the neighborhood with all these folks coming and going, day after day, year after year?

I snapped a few photos and made my way back to my car that was in a “no parking any time” zone and before long I was sailing up the Palisades Parkway.  On the way, I tuned the dial and found, most happily to my ears, Phil Schaap himself on WKCR.  And it was, Phil reminded me August 4th and that meant that it was Louis Armstrong’s birthday and they’d be playing Pops all day long.  But wait?  Wasn’t his birthday the 4th of July?  It didn’t take long for Phil to explain that while Satchmo had always claimed his birthday had been July 4th, 1900, it was actually discovered that he was born on August 4th, 1901.  So, and I quote Phil, “Only Pops is important enough to have two birthdays” and so WKCR celebrates them both.  “Black and Blue” in 1932, never sounded so good.

I pulled over at a rest stop, called “Rockefeller View” or some such thing.  Perhaps he paid for this, too.  And there was a view back over to Spuyten Duyvil, I’d never seen before that was lovely.  The water was rolling down under the bridge.  If I strained I could see Morningside Heights where Phil was broadcasting from and then off to the skyline and the sea.  It was grand. 



Later that night we went to see a production of Othello at the Hudson Valley Shakespeare Festival at Boscobel.   The setting is just remarkable with the view down to the marshlands and the bend in the river just before West Point.  Trains blow and sail by and its difficult to imagine a finer view of the Hudson.  The production was solid and, my purpose was mostly to expose my girls to the story, which was largely successful. 
http://hvshakespeare.org/2014-season/othello.html

I was drawn in completely to the story and was particularly fixated by Iago, the incarnation of evil manipulation gleefully, 背信弃义. [1] For all those time we try to do something nice and try to position something as a favor, but really have our own designs, it was fascinating to consider the evil lieutenant. And somehow my mind, as always, was back in China.  This Elizabethan treatments of raw power spoke to the opportunities and the reality of treachery when the some people are above he law and power is simply personal fiat.                          


[1] Bèixìnqìyì:  breaking faith and abandoning right (idiom); to betray / treachery / perfidy                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

No comments:

Post a Comment