Tuesday, August 12, 2014

Driving Politely, Suddenly




It’s good to be home again.  Certain routines only happen when you’re home. You can try to meditate, and exercise and eat right and spend sensibly when you’re on the road but it isn’t consistent.  Bits always fall off.   Exhausted last night.  Delayed flight finally arrived, get home five minutes before another conf call.  Go up stairs to say good night to the kids but they’re already off to sleep.  But this morning, I was up early and off on a fresh start. 

My little one seems to still be a little jet lagged like me a week after we got back.  I heard her video game bleeping off in the distance when I was trying to concentrate.  Later when I came out I asked her to wrap it all up in five and she did.  She wanted to show me the books she’d gotten out of the library at her new school.  “I got six!”  “Cool.  What did you get?” 

She had six books on cooking deserts, with titles like “Really Cool Ice Cream Cakes.”  Mastering my urge to say anything negative, I sat down with her to have a look.  Like any parent, I’m sensitive to having her gobble up eat endless sweets, even if she goes through the trouble of reading a recipe and making them.   The night before she’d made cupcakes for all her new classmates.  Not a bad tactic for establishing some points as the new kid.  Later when we were in the and I moved the drivers seat back from where my wife keeps the seat to something that would accommodate me, I crunched the basket that she had all the cupcakes neatly lined up in and this almost got me assassinated. 



It was drizzling outside.  In dry, dusty Beijing, this is categorically a good thing.  Wipers flapping, I noticed that my wife had Amy Winehouse’ 2002 album, “Frank” in the car CD player and turned it up.  Everyone is in our squad is an Amy fan and there aren’t many musicians I can say that about.   We used to have her on all the time a few years back and somehow it felt almost nostalgic to hear her, and I thought of the first few times I’d heard this disc, in one instance, oddly, driving around the eastern shores of South Korea with a friend.

We arrived at the school.  I do not have the driving routine down.  I waved the guards going through but then one gave me the screw-face.  I pointed to our newly affixed sticker in the window, which I’d mistakenly positioned behind the top layer of tint so that it is difficult to see from the outside.  He unscrewed his face and let us pass.  Inside there is a logical little queue one proceeds along until you reach the point where you drop off your child.  No one is beeping.  No one is harried.  People stop and allow kids to cross the road.  Oddly carefree, everyone is suddenly 不厌其烦[1].  Normal, you might well imagine, but I can almost guarantee that none of these drivers would behave this way, outside of these school walls.

I have written many times about the chaotic drop off situation, a mere 500 yards across the way, at the Chinese school my kids used to attend.  The staff there are professional, the school is well funded, the parents all seem to drive remarkably expensive cars, but no one has any patience for anyone else and drives in and out of the long straight path down, selfishly.  How can this be?

You drive through a gate and are forced to slow down to a crawl.  There is a feeling perhaps, passing through that the old rules don’t apply anymore.  Impatient, chaotic, selfishness will somehow not be tolerated and with all the pylons pinning you in and guards standing about, there is a narrowness of possibility for, say, doing whatever the hell you want.  Having said all this, I know that it is only a matter of time before I dash back home one day to say that the beautiful, regulated ideal, was only a myth, when someone cuts me off and draws forth from my bowls loud invective my daughter’s will want to query me on:  “why did you yell ‘your mother’s ass, bitch’ to my classmate’s father, dad?”



Driving off, “Stronger Than Me” was on and I turned it up and tried, I noticed, to listen to the lyrics more closely than usual.  And one doesn’t get far before something like “Poor Amy” crosses one’s mind.  At the corner of An Hua Jie and Tian Bei Lu I paused to let an old man on a bike continue in front of me.  He paused as well and looked at me like I needed my head examined:  “Why are you, a car, giving way to me, a bike?”  The residue of my patient, polite, plodding at the school was still coating my judgment. 





[1] bùyànqífán:  not to mind taking all the trouble (idiom) / to take great pains / to be very patient

No comments:

Post a Comment